Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Yard Art: Glass in the Garden

I love the look of glass in the garden. Last summer I succumbed to this piece of hand blown glass. But it was very expensive, and kind of lonely looking out in our big garden.
-
While visiting some other gardens last summer, we saw some examples of glass art that was made out of old household glassware. We thought, "We can do that!"
-
So during the fall, winter and early spring, we have been collecting pieces from thrift stores and recycling shops. Last week, with all of the planting of real flowers done, it was time to design our glass flowers.
-
This morning all that was left on the garage work bench was these two "fountains", awaiting mountings posts.
This afternoon, we finished off the project.
And now, blooming along with nature's flowers, are our creations.
Click on any photo for a closer look.
Last Christmas a friend of ours gave us this cute rock bird house as a hostess gift. We got it out too, using the trunk of a hedge tree we had removed because it was dead. (Yes, we have plant disasters, too.)
We still have a few glass items on the shelf, but they'll wait now for another time of inspiration, and a few more collected pieces. Maybe we'll make some Christmas gifts this year?
-
Our daughter and grandchildren are arriving Friday evening. It's a busy time around here. But I think the garden is ready.

16 comments:

  1. Very pretty, Linda. However, they would last like the proverbial "snowball in Hell" around here with all the grandchildren, deer, rabbits, and even a bear last year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'll be, I never in a million years would have thought of such a project.

    Really clever. A wonderful idea. First you have to have the ability to think creatively and see something in your mind. I don't have that.

    I enjoyed all of it. Wish I had a pretty garden to put such art in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is all so beautiful!
    absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE these! And so pretty, too. Nice to look at, and if one gets broken, you will have backup parts to replace them with. Great ideas here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a clever creative idea. looks like fun to gather and design too. a nice addition to your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought your garden could get even more beautiful, but you pulled it off! I love that idea. You are so creative. You could sell those!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, why don't you sell them? Have a garage sale or sell them at a craft fair!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The kids will have fun discovering all of these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you guys are totally AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You guys are so creative--I blush in shame. LOL
    Wonderful projects.

    BTW: I lumped Langley and Bay view as one and I know they are not, but........

    I am off to the junk store to try to find some colored glas. What do you think I am going to try to accomplish? haha!!
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that's really impressive Linda, so clever of you and just beautiful in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful!! I am oohing and aahing over these gorgeous pieces. They look wonderful in your beautiful gardens. How creative you are! They would make great gifts indeed. Have fun with the family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are such creative thinkers! It's always exciting to see what you are going to do next!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful Linda, what kind of glue did you use on these?

    ReplyDelete
  15. checking back, what kind of glue did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  16. We used a DAP product called Household Sealent. Other peo0ple have used a marine glue.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.