Monday, February 7, 2011

Super Bowl Sunday

I have a jumble of thoughts in my head, most of them not very important. I have been using an on line calorie counter program for two weeks now. I'm doing my best to limit what I put in my mouth because I have to record everything, and I get the total and a grade every day. But yesterday was very hard. Sunday morning, after a slow start, we went to a nursery to pick up a shrub to replace one that died, then to the grocery store to replenish our supply of fresh fruits and vegetables. I read the paper over my light lunch, and by 2:00 I was ready for my exercise routine, about 30 minutes of physical therapy stuff, and then 40 minutes on the stationary bike. By 3:30 I was ready to sit in my recliner and watch the Super Bowl, but with my lap top and magazines on hand to keep my brain occupied. As a result, I missed most of the commercials. Yes, I forgot, the commercials are the most important part! The part everybody talks about the day after. I hardly ever pay attention to commercials. So this morning I watched a bunch of them on line. I needed to repair the gap in my cultural literacy! BTW I loved the beaver one, the Darth Vader kid, and the "House" spot that was a take off of the Mean Joe Green Coke commercial of years ago. I thought the half time show was fun to watch but not much to listen to. As I stated on Facebook "flashy, but lacking in musicality". I was rooting for the Packers, so the outcome was good. Here in Seattle we hate the "Stealers" as a result of the XL Super Bowl. But the whole time I sat there I wanted to eat! Where was my Super Bowl party food? In the evening we watched a PBS special on Nancy Reagan. It brought back unpleasant thoughts and memories. I was not a fan of Nancy or Ronnie. On the 100th anniversary of Ronald Reagan's birth, there will be more specials this week. I don't know that I will watch them. But Mr. President, you can rest in peace. Your legend is alive and well. This morning when I did my daily weigh in, I was down another pound. Victory for me!

7 comments:

  1. We are in the same boat with the calorie counting thing, except that this morning I had lost nothing since last Friday's weigh-in. Sigh. And yesterday I ate so much that I was even in calories for the day, instead of a few hundred calories down. A least I didn't go over.

    Now that I eat the same things almost every day, I know what I can eat and not eat. I bought a scale yesterday, to make sure I am not eating more than I'm supposed to. 200 grams of potatoes is not very much!!

    I loved the actual game itself, it was a good one, but the halftime (not to mention pre-game) show was very lame. I had the mute on after the first few seconds.

    Thanks for getting me enthused about the Packers, they sure deserved to win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried one of those calorie in/calorie out programs for a while. Eventually I tired of figuring out everything that went into each recipe. I'm not a big sports fan, the game was on but I can't say I really watched it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you lost a lb? That's progress! I have lost 5 lbs at most since Jan 20. It fluctuates periodically, depending on how much fluid I drank before going to bed. I weigh myself when I wake up.

    My secret is not eating fast food. Amazing how much business I gave Jack in the Box back then.

    Glad the Packers won, as you know from my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job Linda, it's never easy is it! I just finished my first week back at Weightwatchers after a 2yr break (!!) and lost 5lb's, so vry hapy even though I know it will slow.

    I loed the Darth Vader kid slot, so cute and made me lol. Also enjoyed the halftime show but then I'm a fan of BEP & Usher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You didn't miss out much by not seeing the commercials. I was pretty let down. Volkswagen did a great job, though. It is the first car commercial that I actually liked! Cute kid ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess you know I'm not big into sports like my family so the commercials are very important for me. The Doritos commercials were awful. I loved the Darth Vader clip, but that beaver commercial really tickled me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. You didn't miss anything -- I thought the commercials, except for a few, were really lacking this year.

    2. I was rooting for ABP (ANYONE BUT Pittsburgh). Their arrogance annoys me -- and they're a huge rival of our Ravens.

    3. And the Reagans? I have nothing but disdain for them.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.