Friday, December 21, 2012

The Winter Solstice

Today was the day, the winter solstice, the day when the noon time sun is the lowest in the sky in the northern hemisphere.  The solstice is the original "reason for the season".

From the time of the earliest humans , today has been a day of celebration.  Why?  Because it is a day of renewal, the day that marks the return of the light, the sun, longer days marked in seconds, then minutes, then hours of sunlight.

It's no accident that the Mayan calendar ended today.  It never signified the end of time and the world, but a time of renewal, when life enters a new cycle.  Just flip the calendar over and start anew.  Those Mayans that still survive are celebrating today.

I celebrated today too, because along with the promise of more light, we actually had sunlight, a sunny day!

 I went out for a walk this afternoon, between 2:30 and 3:30, with the winter moon high in the blue sky, and by 3:30, the winter sun already very low on the horizon.
We won't notice the change in daylight right away, but it's happening nevertheless.  And for those of us who live in the north-lands,  that is significant!  

A reason to celebrate!

6 comments:

  1. beautiful moon
    and yay!! for more sun

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not quite so attuned to the winter solstice as I used to be when I spent my winter in the North. It was always my favorite day of the year because I knew more light was coming my way! I agree with the Mayans, it is truly a time for renewal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today is five seconds longer than yesterday, Linda, and it's a start! I always notice the return of the light by the end of January, but emotionally I feel it right away. And wasn't it a beautiful day? I so enjoyed the sunshine, it was simply glorious. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never noticed it when I was a child, but even here in Hawaii I can see the change in when the sun rises and sets and the direction of the sun also. Have a terrific week ahead, Linda. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.