Friday, April 14, 2017

Success!

The razor clam digging was open again today, on a different beach. We arranged to meet my sister and brother-in-law at Grayland Beach State Park.

We were up very early this time, determined to be on the beach an hour before low tide. The weather looked grim as we approached Aberdeen. We had plenty of time, so we stopped at a Starbucks for coffee and a little sustenance. 
 When we arrived on the beach, the weather looked good, but we put on all of our rain gear anyway. Our weather has been very unsettled and squalls strike without much notice. 

Laurie and Arn were running late, so we told them where we were parked and off we went. I struck pay dirt right away, but Tom was striking out. Eventually we both found good digging, and converged with two limits, 15 clams each.


We took our catch to the car and then set off to find my sister. She was easy to find, but the clams were not jumping into her bucket, so we showed her the good spot. She soon had her limit too. 
 Then Tom did the same for Arn, once we connected with him, while Laurie and I took her dog for a little walk. Except for two short rain squalls, the weather held!
With our clams dug, we all went out for a late breakfast and a good visit before going our separate ways.

We had spotted a small succulent nursery on the way to the beach, so on the way back Tom and I stopped to shop. 
 It was a fun little place and the owner was great to talk to. We bought a few succulents and an agave. 


Then we began the long drive back home. 

We are all unloaded, cleaned up and I am playing with my photos while Tom gets to clean the clams. We will bag most of them up to put in the freezer, except enough for one meal now. 


Then we'll take a little rest and get ready to watch the Sounders on TV. 

18 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a great time and very good luck on your clam dig. It look like great fun, and will be great eating, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must have been fun. I don't know anything about clams, but those look big! I can't believe all the nurseries you and Tom find. We need a few around here. Also enjoyed your last post and seeing the family again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those succulents sure were great. We don't get big ones like that around here.

    How do you kill the clams inside the shells and what do you do with all the shells? I'm fascinated by your clam digs. I'd probably not try them, though, because I'm allergic to shell fish and I'm not sure where clams fall in the animal kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The clams are scalded with boiling water to loosen the shells and the neck skin. That kills them. Then the digestive system- stomachs- are removed.

      Delete
  4. Preserverance pays off. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clamming sounds like fun. A pro like you knows exactly where to find them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another exciting day in the life of the Reeder's. I do like fried clam strips but I think that's about as close as a Texan gets to clams. No doubt fried clam strips are not from razor clams. For the work involved in catching razor clams they'd be far too expensive to eat. I think the day sounds exciting and it was fun to read about but, truthfully, they don't look ver appetizing. The succulent nursery was interesting but I've always thought Texas was a better fit for succulents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You all look rather chilled but it's nice that you were able to get as many clams as you did. I must admit I've never tried to eat a clam and I have no desire to. But to each his ( or her) own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! Fresh clams for supper! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful! Your clam paraphernalia got a good workout. And lots of clams for the whole family. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like you had a great time. I think I would be intimidated by the size of those clams.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a fun activity and the photos look good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy! I love clams, was the beach as quiet as it looked? Successful day all around.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice that you were able to capture your limits. Enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fabulous day! I'm wondering how they taste. I do love clams, but they're all small. Those are gigantic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Take that clams who previously laughed at the Reeders! Glad you had an enjoyable day and a better haul this time. Also fun to find a small nursery!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.