Tuesday, September 3, 2019

The End of Another Summer

When you have spent your whole life in one aspect of education or another, Labor Day means the end of summer. As a student, as a teacher, as a parent, and now as a grandparent, Labor Day marks the end of summer freedom. I remember thinking as my children and then my grandchildren began their first day of
school experience, "From now on, they will always have to report in to the world of school or work."

I am a child of summer, born in July, endowed with an introvert's personality. I have always loved summer; the freedom, the quietness of not always being surrounded by noisiness, the relief from always having to perform. Labor Day has always made me melancholy.

These days I do not have to return to the world of work, but that feeling is still there. I like to indulge that feeling by marking the end of Labor Day weekend by going to watch the sun set on Summer, preferably over the sea. I did so on Monday, at the Des Moines Marina.









 Leaving the marina, we stopped by Jill's house. They live nearby. We dropped off some of our bumper crop of tomatoes so Jill can make sauce, but I'm not sure when she will find the time.  She was just arriving back from Whidbey Island, lamenting that she had to go back to work, with a meeting Tuesday morning and school beginning Wednesday. She had just dropped Jake off at his house. He, too, was lamenting the end of summer, even though for him work just continues. We are too much alike, my kids and I. 

Isaac was at soccer practice. Irene was home but happy to be going back to school. She is excited to begin her high school experience.  Good for them.

And good for me, actually, because for me, as a retired person, summer isn't over until the calendar says it is, which gives me about three more weeks!

10 comments:

  1. For many years I always thought that I was missing out having no place to "go" the day after Labor Day...not so much anymore:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. After 22 years of retirement, the urge to get back after Labor day is gone. I was usually in the school for about a week in August getting prepared

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting being retired from teaching. My summer was slow and hot, I miss the excitement that comes when my activities return although I don't teach. Many of the classes and groups I lead start again. Today I enjoyed a macusers group and Dixie Poets of which I'm president started again with a poetry lesson and critiques...hurrah for fall and cooler temps-sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those sunset pictures are perfect for this thoughtful post, Linda. I also want to thank you so much for your recent comments on my blogs. I feel you are a kindred spirit, except one way more elegant than I will ever be. Thank you for being a virtual friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures! Boy does this post resonate with me! I, too, am a child of summer, also born in July, beginning life as an introvert, but changing over the years due to demands of work. So nice to be mostly retired and able to continue to enjoy summer for a few more weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those pictures of the sunset and the boats. I use to love summers but the 100 degree plus summers lately are wearing. I'm ready for some cool days. It was 100 on the porch today. Ugh. You are in the right part of the nation to enjoy summers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds to me like you need to go out and buy yourself a packet of pencils a few pens and some theme paper. Maybe that you perk you up. ;) I still get the urge to do that. Your vigil at the marina is a perfect way to end summer. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your ritual of going to watch the sun setting over the water at the end of Labour Day weekend.
    Great photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What perfect pictures to mark the close of summer. Seem like you put your heart into everything you do. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our harvest of veggies was greatly diminished. I also felt sad at Labor Day, but now I do look forward to quiet winters where I can retreat, read, work with photos, write and take some online course. Feeling no guilt for withdrawing indoors. Your photos are certainly lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.