Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Rebooting

 

Corcosmia Lucifer

My birthday pageant is over. Now I'm just older.

Sunflowers for the party tables and sunflowers in the garden. 




We toured some lovely gardens on Saturday. I have photos if I ever get around to editing and posting them. These photos are from our garden. 

Then we got together with son Jake for take-out BBQ in his Ballard yard and a great visit. He is in a good place now and it warmed my heart to see him doing well. 


Daylilies, clematis, and hydrangeas blooming

Sunday we slowed down a bit and watched two soccer games, the US Men's National team and the Sounders. USA won, Sounders suffered their first loss of the season.



On Monday we did usual Monday chores and then prepped for a grilled dinner for Jill, Isaac, Irene, and SIL Jan, and a chance to catch up with all of our comings and goings. They will all be dispersing on summer adventures by the end of the week. 

Over the four days I heard from my three remaining siblings and we shared the sad feeling of not buying a birthday card for our departed sister Ilene.


The first Cana flower opened today

Today I am prepping for hosting a lunch tomorrow for our breakfast group. The shopping is done, the brownies are baked, the food is planned and the logistics have been decided. 

Simultaneously I am contacting school friends from my former school, the McMicken group, and have confirmations from eight for lunch here next Wednesday. We haven't gathered for almost two years, so I took the initiative to make it happen. I am limiting how many are invited though. I am old now and there is a limit to what I can handle. The lunch will be partly potluck.


Our summer weather is lovely, cool mornings, sunny afternoons, and marine air cool downs at night. After this flurry of activity I look forward to a lazy August. 



The sweet peas are blooming. There will be a fresh bouquet of fragrance to scent the air in the kitchen tomorrow. 

14 comments:

  1. Sweet Peas are so pretty! The deer really like them, I tried growing them for two summers...no dice. Sounds like you had a good birthday...and now more get togethers planned...that is a lot of work...hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sunflower time here too and the monsoons have cooled us down to the 90s but the humidity is higher. Just waiting for summer to be over takes forever...great celebrating for your birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful flowers! I know what you mean about limiting gatherings - because gatherings are exponentially harder as you add people, and large groups of people can eat enormous quantities of food. We used to do everything when we hosted, but are going more and more to the potluck plan. I was wondering what the flowers at the top (corcosmia lucifer) were called - I've always loved them, but haven't had any for a long time. Suddenly, the other day, I found some in one of my flower beds and have no idea where they came from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are all just one day older today from yesterday. Numbers are just in our brains.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy for you. That's what I like to see - many parties on the horizon. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden amazes me each time your share the photos. Beautiful!
    It sounds like you had a wonderful celebration. Enjoy your get-togethers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden pictures are so charming here it is almost easy to forget allt he work that goes into them. I am glad that you will be able to share your setting with friends in the coming weeks. Enjoy it all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well you certainly made you birthday last. Now you get to live with the consequences:)) I am facing the same realization tomorrow. Whee.
    Smart to keep the gathering small not only for the work but don't think the Covid creep has left us yet. Have a fun, safe time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to hear about the lovely weather you are having there now. No more heat wave, hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope the coming year will be the best one yet, dear Linda. You sure had a good birthday celebration. I'm so glad to hear that Jake is doing so well. And I love your beautiful pictures, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful flowers! The weather has been perfect lately. I'm hoping it stays that way and that we aren't inundated with smoke in August. That has been unpleasant the past couple years. It sounds like you have wonderful plans with others! It's even more fun to spend time together after the past year and a half.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your flowers are lovely, especially the Sweet Peas. The only ones I have blooming are the perennials ones which have no scent ( and are mainly pink). I like the Daylily that is the colour of the inside of a cantaloupe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’m so happy for all of you, Linda. Hawaii’s COVID numbers are at the January level right now and everyone is worried.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your flowers are so pretty. I love all the different lilies and that big beautiful sunflower. Your birthdays are always special. Must be because you are so special.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.