Thursday, September 14, 2023

Crops and Cautions

 

Sedum Autumn Joy

 There were lots of little jobs this week.

On Monday, of course, we cleaned house and I did laundry. Tom does all of the heavy work, but I did the dusting and sorting as well as the laundry and refreshing flower bouquets, so by lunch time I was worn out enough to skip any other exercise, except for PT, of course. there's always PT. 

On Tuesday we had our Zoom meeting and then we walked and I got my mile. 


Then we made pesto.

We harvested much of our basil, ground it up in the food processor with walnuts, grated parmesan cheese, and olive oil. I put it in small containers and it went into the freezer. I use it mostly for chicken pesto pasta with vegetables in the cold months. 

On Wednesday I got in my 6 miles on the stationary bike, and then we inspected and refreshed our earthquake/emergency kit. We'll pick up a few things at the store Friday and then it will get tucked away in the shed until next September, when 9/11 reminds us it's time to renew it again. 

With more time to go we harvested the rest of poblano peppers and the first picking of our sauce tomatoes. The tomatoes go into the freezer whole in zip lock bags for sauces and stews. I roasted the peppers and then diced them to freeze for dishes like shrimp and grits. 



Jake stopped by in the afternoon to visit a bit and pick up the last of the cider from the freezer that we made at the cider bee last year. Gotta' make room for the new stuff. 

I got a 1.2 mile walk in today. It was hard. This afternoon I had an appointment at the dentist to get my crown installed, but, alas, I forgot to take my antibiotic, so now it is postponed until Monday.  With an artificial aortic valve, precautions must be taken. 

It's kind of like the earthquake kit, you prepare, hoping you won't need it. 



8 comments:

  1. That is an amazing harvest of Basil and peppers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't put up much food anymore. It's just too much work although we like the prepared food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did quite a lot and you are ready for winter. We are going back home Tomorrow and I think we will have a lot to do when back home. I have done a lot of walking here 50 km but it is quite hard, today I will rest before we leave tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great crop! My basil (Thai) keeps going to flower and seed. Yours looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never tried pesto...not sure if I would like it. Your garden produce looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden has produced a bounty. The pesto sounds delicious!
    I do hope the walking and PT gets easier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sure looks good. You reminded me that what I thought was spirea is really sedum. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! You are the most wonderful cook. I'm always impressed with what your garden grows. That's a lot of gorgeous basil.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.