Friday, January 12, 2024

It's Cold

 We enjoyed some pretty good weather during the week, but we were warned it was coming. Thursday evening the temperature began to drop from 40F eventually down to 22. We had a dusting of snow but no more and by morning that was freeze dried in the cold north wind. 

We were  able to drive easily down the hill to my dentist appointment this morning. I had an extraction and an implant, beginning a months long process to get a "new" tooth to replace a badly broken one. So far the pain in minimal with just ibuprophen and Tylenol. But the Novocain is just wearing off, so we'll see. I want to eat!

Early in the week I made a big pot of beef stew, and then yesterday I made a big batch of spaghetti, so Tom has plenty of left overs to last a while. 

Tom changed our Google password without telling me, because of some trouble he was having. After two days of having trouble commenting on blog posts, I think I finally have it straightened out. He apologized. (It's now hours later and I'm back to finishing this post on my laptop. My desk top is messed up. Grrr)

I took some photos in the garden a couple of days ago because I needed something for a blog post. You can be sure that most of the flowers I posted last week are shriveled up and frozen now, but most will survive.

The first hellebore opened, but the photo isn't very good because I was upside down and backwards.

The lawn was full of fir cones. We've had wind.




Later in the day Tom was out with the rotary lawn mower "vacuuming" up all of the debris. 

Then last night a big limb came down out of a fir tree. Tom was back outside beginning the clean up in 18 degree weather. He kept warm for a while hauling the branches to be placed on the dahlia bed for insulation. Hope it's not too late. 
He came in when he got too cold. Eventually this will be a chain saw job, maybe when it's warmer. 

I was still fighting with my computer when he came back in. Then Tom discovered that the cold water in the upstairs bathroom was frozen. That happens when it gets this cold.  I monitored the faucet while Tom tackled the pipe, which unfortunately was left exposed by the builder, with hairdryers. Eventually it broke loose. Now we will keep the faucet trickling and leave the heat up over night. 

I still have a gauze pack in my mouth because the extracted tooth site is still bleeding. It's dinner time. I'm trying hard not to be "hangry". Tom doesn't deserve it. It's a good thing he has leftovers.

It's now down to 16 and dropping.

It's cold. 

8 comments:

  1. Okay, okay! Enough about your cold. You can hit me if you want! Right now it's minus 36 C. It got up to minus 32 C today. It's too cold for this old guy. It's hard on cars to drive in this weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope that tooth site stops bleeding and heals quickly so you can eat again. Stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brrr....this brutal cold weather is hard on all of us. We're sitting at -35C (-31F) this morning, with windchills into the -50's. At that point, one stays indoors and hunkers down as much as possible. While we're colder than you, we're more accustomed to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cold weather, messed up computer, and a busted up mouth! As my 103 year old friend always say, "This, too, shall pass." Hope it does for you - and real quick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad the worst of the tooth ordeal is behind you, or will be soon. We are coming out of seriously windy weather with single digits. Even in full sun, I feel chilled to the bone! I wish I had somebody around to complain to, but my dear partner does more than his share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you feel better and can eat something soon! It has been years since we have had frozen pipes. Houses here are well insulated and if not then keep the cupboard doors open so air can circulate, a hair dryer will usually thaw out a pipe...some people use heat tapes but they have been known to cause fires:( Knock on wood it has been years since we had a frozen pipe and never at our home in Minnesota. Back in the 1970's we lived in a trailer house and pipes froze every winter...and I got good at thawing them out with a hair dryer. Stay warm! The wind chill factor is -34 right now here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are cold too. Strange that water is frozen inside.
    We are not used to cold weather now about 10 years ago we had cold weather.
    I don’t like to drive on ice or snow but I think I will have to do it for my MIR. Tomorrow a taxi is taking me to the clinic it’s a relief.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate dental problems. And I have an appointment with the dentist this coming Tuesday. Fingers crossed.
    It always amazes me how you have plants growing and even some flowers blooming too...in January! We didn't see nature emerge in Chicago until April.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.