Monday, January 1, 2024

Blooming and Booming

 


We watched fireworks from the Space Needle on New Year's Eve. 
Unfortunately a fog bank parked itself right over the Space Needle. 


I hope it's not an omen of things to come. Probably it's just Mother Nature playing tricks on us. 

This year the weather was hospitable during the day on the 31st and Jan 1st, and I got out to do something I used to do every year: What's Blooming on New Years Day. 

Winter blooming Mahonia, a humming bird treat
Winter jasmine

Little bits of spring bloomers
Hellebore emerging
Hazelnut Catkins at the park. Yes, we went for a walk!
I forget, but leftover from Fall. 
Primroses are back after the heat of summer. 
Snowdrops are emerging. 
Sarcococca is blooming and scenting the air with vanilla. 
Witch hazel
Skimmia
More Hellebore emerging
Sarcococca
Lamium, out of season

Kaffir Lily, hanging on. 




And now darkness is slowly descending on the first day of our new year. 

Tom informs me that he found Dungeness crab when he went to the store. Yay! A crab feed for dinner, while we watch the U of W Huskies in the Sugar Bowl.
A good start to the new year. 

13 comments:

  1. It's hard for me to imagine that you have that many plants that are active at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm amazed that you have so many plants growing and even blooming in the dead of winter. It all looks wonderful and gives me hope for my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the little gift inside the garden. And any yellow flower, I just love, love, love. Happy 2024. Cheers, Ivy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know witch hazel was a flower. Thanks for the tour. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am surprised by the blooming in your garden in ours nothing is blooming or coming out.crab is nice but difficult to eat, maybe here they are too small! Nice start of year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so nice seeing the plants starting to bloom, especially the primrose. They are such a lovely harbinger of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am hopeful that this will be a great year for all of us. Happy New Year and mahalo for your beautiful photos and blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always so nice to see how many flowers you have at the beginning of the year. And also happy to hear you were able to go for a walk! Yay and hopes for many more during the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those Space Needle photos are surreal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to see some blooms! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year, Linda and Tom! I amazed to see your flowers. In Chicago, nothing bloomed in January. Nothing. Unless it was indoors, that is.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.