Thursday, January 25, 2024

Winter Projects

 Winter calls for indoor projects. Some of them happen here. All of them require being done on the cheap because we have had some big expenses lately. 


Yes, I got out my sewing machine and have started on some more quilt squares using fabric scraps. It's fun playing with color and shape, and sewing even seams is a challenge. I need challenges. 

I just finished my first one for this round. I work slowly and cautiously, and not with perfection.


Here is the new one next to one I did last year, using the same pattern but a different color scheme. Look how different they look. 


In that same work station where I sew, Tom works on his genealogy. Fitting data and DNA records together to chronologically make sense is a puzzle of another kind. Also challenging. 

Another project I work on is Project Me. Yes, it's time to take stock of my physical condition, and since the Docs have no answers for me, I will do what I can. I have taken several walks of about a mile with my new trekking poles, and alternate that with time on the stationary bike, which is in the garage, and rain doesn't stop me. I also have added hand weights back into my daily PT routine to regain arm and shoulder strength. 


It was time to put away anything holiday, so I got rid of the candle and centerpiece on the kitchen table, flipped over the table mat, and picked some sprigs from the garden. The sarcococca is almost finished already, but I found a few sprigs with flowers to bring in to scent the kitchen with wonderful vanilla fragrance.

I still haven't figured out how to restore my spell check, so you may find errors. That's a project I might have to call Geek Squad for. 



11 comments:

  1. I'm impressed with the quilt blocks. I could not piece something and sew it together evenly. I'm too impatient and that would take too much care.
    It's so wonderful you're able to bring some of the lovely plants indoors to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both of your quilts. And I understand perfectly how important mobility is to you, and I know you will continue to make good progress in that regard, with a will as strong as yours. Sending you lots of virtual hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt squares are perfection and I love your fabulous work space. I guess we're all of that age where we're working on our health and mobility. I know I need to walk and exercise more, but my knee is a problem now. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sewing such small pieces together takes patience! Pretty squares, will you make a quilt someday?

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we lose one activity there are more to chose from. I'm in the same situation. You can't just sit down . You've got to work at it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have learned to do patchwork but I am not very clever at doing it. I made hand sewing patchwork.
    At the moment I am doing paper crafts and soon some painting. You are doing well with your physical exercises I am not so courageous !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pain kills motivation for most people, but you are not most people. Good that you are doing your own research to find your solutions. I have a handheld microcurrent machine that I believe to be a solution to many of my problems. I also figured out that I was taking too many supplements that were causing the problems to be worse - because I am such a sucker for great marketing.

    I admire how you keep your hands busy and try out new ideas. I just started taking a weaving class - am immersed in it for 3 wonderful days but may not continue because it is really labor intensive just to warp the dang loom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your work space, Linda. And yes, projects keep us going and challenged. I've been only reading lately. Need to start quilting or sketching, knitting, or something... Sometimes it's hard to get motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As we come to the end of January I must also put away the rest of the Christmas decor, the things I left out as "winter" prettiness. Perhaps I will get my son to lift down the box marked Valentines and I'll see what I can use from there.
    We're getting so much rain this week. I wouldn't be surprised if you have the same weather there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The older I get the more I realize that physical mobility only happens when I move through the pain at times. I love your quilts - both of them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're better than I am, Linda. I am a couch potato immersed in K-dramas. I hate to exercise. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.