Sunday, May 12, 2024

It's Mother's Day And I Get To Rest

 

When the days are long and the weather is warm, it's time to start living outside. But that means there is lots of work to do first. The winter grime and pollen scum needs to be washed off of everything. Plants that were being protected under cover and in the greenhouse need to be moved out. New plants we have been accumulating need to be planted. That's what we have been doing this week. 

Sometimes Tom and I work together, sometimes he does jobs I can't do and I do what I can.

I took everything off the house wall, brushed off the dirt and spider webs, and put it all back.

Tom helped with the nozzel collection when I ran out of gas. 

We moved all of the tender and spikey plants out onto the patio.

We cleaned furniture and swapped out winter chairs for summer chairs.
Tom got his bonsai collection set up. Everything has to be hooked up to the drip system, a big job for Tom all over the yard. 
Tom got the deck cleaned up and hung the old windows. The wisteria is blooming now, but only lightly this year. 
A place for contemplation: "Truth", "Patience", "Breath easy", "Just because". We both sat here for a while this morning after Tom brought the last pots down and hooked them up. It's a beautiful morning. 

The only mosquito I like. I put out all of the yard art this week too. 




Tom kept the lawn mowed and I edged it, scissoring it and then crawling around to pick up and weed the edges of the beds. My knees held up, just barely. I may have overdone it a bit. 

Yesterday with a little help from Tom. who had other jobs, I put out all the glass flowers. Here are many of them.
















Then I was spent. Saturday afternoon we took off to go spend time with Tom's sister Jan sitting on her deck. 

Today I am slowing down. I need to. We'll watch the Sounders on TV this afternoon and then our adult "kids" Jill and Jake will come over and together we'll prepare a grilled dinner to share on the patio. Jill is making a rhubarb dessert. 

It's noon and 69 degrees, heading for 75. Perfect.

Happy Mother's Day, even though you will probably find this too late. Hugs to all. 

9 comments:

  1. We're off to a Mothers Day BBQ at granddaughter Kate's in just a little while.
    Nice to see all your glass flowers.
    In all my years I have never heard of anyone having a nozzle collection!! It's unique!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect weekend. Cool beaners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mother's Day to you and to Jill. It's been a rather relaxing day here for the most part, though not quite as warm.
    Your garden is such a treat to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a lovely yard! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden is all ready for summer. Gardening is a good hobby for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful and I covet the nozzles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You accomplished an incredible amount! I got tired just reading about it all, Linda. Plese enjoy your well earned rest. And Happy Mother's Day one day late!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did so much job! I admire you! The wooden outside wall I have painted in fact I want to hung things on it maybe different bird houses. I love your flowers glass

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Linda! It is so pretty there! It really is a lot of work cleaning up around the garden and bringing out pots and plants that have been hidden through the winter months. I can relate, on a much smaller scale of course. Isn't it fun though? Mother's Day was quiet here too. I did get texts and phone calls from daughters and some of the grandchildren and a gift card to eat pecan pancakes at cracker Barrel. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.