Friday, August 14, 2009

Fun With Flowers

While the kids were here for two weeks, my garden had to fend for itself. Thank goodness for the watering system, which kept it alive during our heat wave!
Now the kids are gone and I am having fun with the flowers growing in the garden. I have spent much of the last two days dead heading, trimming and sometimes slashing away at spent blooms and tired foliage to refresh the garden. I have also gathered mounds of flowers for the house.
This bouquet is made up of zinnias and marigolds.
Dahlias are so colorful and easy to arrange.
This little bouquet is on my refrigerator in a magnet vase. With so many flowers, I can be extravagant. This is on the kitchen counter.
I also have several lily blooms in the house. They came on fast in the hot weather, and will be gone all too soon.
The summer border. Roses are setting buds for another flush of blooms.
The patio pots hold interesting plants to appreciate up close.
The back border is in shade, and glows with shades of green.
This clematis blooms forever.
Butterfly bush is so fragrant. I love to have a few blooms in the house, but they fade much too quickly.
No butterflies today, but the bumble bees were enjoying the nectar.
The vegetable garden is still producing zucchini, cucumbers, beans, carrots, beets and chard. The sweet peas suffered from the heat and neglect, but other annuals decorate the garden boxes and supply cut flowers.
The dahlia bed.
We have been having cool weather and showers this week, which has been a pleasant change for us Seattlites. The blooms glisten with captured rain drops.
The zinnias are reaching for the sky!
At the front of the house Tom has his collection of fancy leafed geraniums, which are lush in high summer.
At the side of the house, the tomatoes are coming along. We have had only one ripe one so far, surprising with all of the heat.
With the work done now for a while, I intend to sit back and enjoy my little flowery corner of the world.

10 comments:

  1. yes, I would definitely sit back and enjoy all your labors. We are heading your way next week to visit family in Seattle and Redmond. Hope to enjoy some sights of your lovely area and then off to the Oregon coast for a week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden and all of the flowers are exquisite! And such gorgeous colors! Your shot of the bee is great!

    Enjoy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you inspire me! I want more plants for my patio now. I'll pay Home Depot a visit on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Linda, your garden is spectacular!! Oh how I dream of having such beauty like yours in our yard someday... It's so hard for me to figure out what to put in my garden. Believe me, I'm taking lots of notes about yours. I hear you about tomatoes this season. I've had only a few sweet 100s ripen, but my early girls are not living up to its name. Hopefully with the sun returning this upcoming week they'll actually turn red. I'm hoping that I don't have to do the brown bag under the sink ripening method again this year... Thanks for tour, I loved it!
    -Karoline

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your garden and your header is making me want to go to Rainier! You must do a lot of hours in the garden! Wow, beautiful flowers and produce!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good gravy, Linda! I'm totally blown away by your garden, flowers and vegetables. You need to hire yourself out to brown thumbers like me. It's probably a good thing that I don't have much area to grow anything. I can see your plants love you and are thriving under your loving care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heaven surely must have gardens like yours! they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love looking at your garden. It is just too hot here to deep things blooming in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello!

    WOW!!Beautiful all these flowers!Great photos!

    kisses,

    irina

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous garden. I'm jealous. I'd love to have your gardening expertise close by.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.