Thursday, January 9, 2014

Getting Back on the Horse

Isn't that the expression most often used for resuming something that caused you pain?  When you fall of the horse, get back on and try again.

I'm doing that. Each day this week so far I have walked at least 3.5 miles, often more, in the same place where I crashed last Friday. Today it turned out to be a walk in the rain.  
 It wasn't raining when I started out, but the sky was threatening, so I was prepared.  When the light rain started falling I just pulled my jacket hood up over my rain shield visor and kept going.  It felt wonderful.
 I am a bit more cautious now about potential slick spots, and I stay away from the pathway in the woods when it's wet.  I have slipped there before, but stayed on my feet. I also threw away my old walking shoes, that had lost most of their tread, and pulled out a spare pair.  I'll have to go shopping for another pair, but I'm waiting for a bit until I don't look quite so scary.

Yesterday I also got back on the bike.  It was raining pretty hard, and so I finally made myself dust off the stationary bike that is living in the garage and gave it a go.  I  persevered and got in my ten miles, and because I can read my Kindle while pedaling, I finally made some progress on the book I have been reading for weeks now: Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver.  

It just so happens it is a rainy January there in the book's setting in the Appalachians too, so I can relate to that.

It's dark and dreary and wet, just the day for a big pot of beef stew.
And won't have to cook again for days!  Maybe I can get some more reading done.

15 comments:

  1. You're doing the right thing by getting back out there. If you stay away you lose balance and confidence. I broke a wrist twice and you have to stop some activities. It's hard to come back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Linda! You are such an inspiration to me, I'm going to start walking after work at least three days a week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely picture of your walking trail. I am amazed at the green in January! Good for you for getting back on the horse, you are an inspiration. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you got back on the horse, so to speak, and yes, I can imagine you wanting to wait til you are not so scary to shop for shoes. The stew looks delicious, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We didn't have any rain until later in the day on Whidbey Island, which was in the rain shadow. I visited our old growth trees on Hoypus Hill. They are still magnificent.

    A new pair of shoes with good tread sounds like a great idea, Linda. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad you are riding the horse again and getting better each day...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beef stew is one of our favorite winter meals too! Do you put beer or ale in it? I do, and it's yummy. Good for you on walking again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh! I wish I had a little of your determination! The beef stew looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I expected no less from you. I enjoyed Flight Behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so admire how you stick to your exercising schedule and don't let mishaps stop you. You are my role model along with DJan. You guys are so strong and determined. The healthier you are, the better you'll be able to tolerate the operation coming up. And that beef stew looks fabulous too, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  11. glad you're feeling better
    love your rain gear
    Travelsmith.com has some good walking shoes

    good luck in the playoffs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you, Linda!! I went out of the house today for the first time in almost a week. It was just too cold. Of course, it's been pouring today, but it was above freezing.

    I LOVED FLIGHT BEHAVIOR and frankly, all things written by Kingsolver. Yesterday I finished THELMA BAIN. It was good. Today was thinking of beginning either a David Baldacci book or WEDNESDAY'S SISTERS.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Omg ... I've been scrolling down, and I am so sorry that you had to go through all of that. Man. Happy that you are doing so much better.

    On another note, I loved "Flight Behavior". It reminds me a lot of "The Prodigal Summer".

    Take care, Linda.

    Hugs,
    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.