Saturday, January 4, 2014

I'm OK, and Life Goes On


I took all of your concerns to heart, and called the consulting nurse this morning.  She asked a lot of good questions, consulted the doctor on call, and they decided I didn't need to come in to be checked.  She gave me a list of indicators to watch for, and so far, so good.  

I had a good night, slept well, if a bit too briefly, and have very little pain.  There is a dull headache, but that's about it.  But the view in the mirror was pretty scary, as we knew it would be.  Blood has pooled around my eyes and in the bags under my eyes.  I do have a photo of it, but it's too awful to post.

This is all you get.

My glasses are bent, so the bifocal focal point is off, which makes seeing around all of the puffiness a little difficult, but I am managing to read.

And life goes on.  Tom got the rest of the lights down off the house today, and then took the leaf blower to the roof to blow off the debris from the fir and cedar trees, continuing with some clean up on the ground. 
He is now putting the last of the Christmas decorations in the attic.  All that is left is the wreath, which I will leave up through January.

I got out to pick some winter greens bouquets to replace the ones I had for the holidays.  The sarcococca is coming into bloom, with its tiny white, but oh, so fragrant flowers, which, added to the bouquets,will fill the house with a sweet vanilla scent.




For many years I have gone out on New Years Day to record "What's Blooming".  I didn't get out this year, but it sounded like just the right low action activity for me to do today.  
With the week of deep freeze we had in early December, there isn't much in bloom this January, but I found a few things.

 Winter jasmine never fails to overcome the cold and provide spring like color.

 Primroses can't wait for spring either.
Snow drops are up and showing buds.
The leaves of the  hardy cyclamen are as lovely as flowers.
 And we are looking forward to several days of blue skies!
But the best news of all is that Isaac got a new kitten today.  You may remember that he lost his beloved one year old cat suddenly in early December.  They have been looking for just the right new kitty to be the recipient of the love Isaac has to give a furry friend.
Isaac reports that she has a wonderful purr motor.  Isaac's 11th birthday is this coming Wednesday.  It will be a happy one.

16 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you are truly on the mend, Linda. And congratulations to the lucky little kitty who has inherited your family! Thank you for the lovely pictures of your garden, and just knowing you are recovering quickly makes me very happy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear it will take only time and no doctor intervention for your healing. Lucky kitten, lucky boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news all around. Blooms in January. What a place to live. Your centerpiece is so lovely. Your gracious and hardy spirit also blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. get better soon, I envy all your green bouquets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to hear that you are okay today.
    How wonderful for Isaac to have a new friend:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the rest of your recovery goes well. With me, when I fall, its backwards. That's when you hit your head.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isaac's new kitten is adorable! I'm so glad he got a replacement. I'm also very glad to see another post from you, and that you are doing ok. Falling is scary business, especially when you hit your head. Thanks for updating us. Your foliage bouquets are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear your fall was not serious. I remember having bruised bags under my eyes a couple of years ago. Looked awful, felt fine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy to hear you are doing well I was afraid you would wake to two black eyes. So glad Isaac found a kitten to love. What a lovely yard you have. I am amazed at what you have growing. When my son moved from TX desert to Seattle last fall the first thing he told me was "Mom, things GROW here -- you would love it." I have spent a fortune trying, babying, coddling plants trying to get them to grow here but the heat in the summer, always weeks at over 100 degrees, plus horrible drought means odds are against me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos, Linda. I'm relieved that you got a hold of the doctor just to be sure. I'm glad you're on the mend. That sure was scary.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda, I am glad to hear that you are well today.
    Your garden and your house is very beautiful.
    A Happy Birthday to Isaac!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad your bruises aren't more serious and that you don't need to be seen by a doctor. Your blossoms do look lovely, and kudos to Isaac for choosing such a cute, adorable kitten.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you did check further and have gotten an all clear. Just time needed. I swear it looks like you have been shot in he forehead.
    If you and Tom go out together, I am sure he is getting unjust looks from strangers.
    How nice to see color. We are living in a beige world here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Omg.... This is awful, but I am glad you are ok generally speaking.... Be sure this kitten gets vaccinated for feline leuk as I think that is what the other cat died of and it is a virus....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such beautiful evergreen boquets! Sorry to hear about your fall and hope all goes well as you heal!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Unbelievable that you have such beautiful blooms already! Is this normal for your area?

    So happy about Isaacs new kitty. Does it have a name, yet?

    We're still in a deep freeze here. Unusual for us; it gets cold, but never this cold.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.