Saturday, August 2, 2008

Seafair Friday

Seafair encompasses many events in Seattle, but the biggest is the hydroplane races and air shows over Lake Washington.
Friday is free day, when fans and families flock to the shores of the lake to see the big boats test and qualify and to watch the air show practices.
Saturday there is more qualifying, the first heats of racing, and all of the air shows. Sunday has all of the rest of the racing as well as a repeat of the airshows. There is a charge for admission on Saturday and Sunday. Our son, daughter and son-in-law will attend the races Sunday. Grandma and Grandpa will be happy to stay home and watch on TV with the grandkids.
We woke to rain early Friday morning, but by the time we reached to Lake at 8:30 AM, the sky was clear blue overhead. We had a great day of Seafair fun.
For the uninitiated, here is Hydroplane racing 101.

This is a hydroplane - 6000 pounds of flying boat with a helicopter turbine engine.

This is a hydroplane going fast, throwing up a "rooster tail".These are the "pits" and part of the race course.These are hydros on trailers in the pits.

This hydro in going into the water.

These are hydro fans on a pit tour. (Daughter and grandson. I was there too!)

These are airshow watchers.And these are the famous Blue Angels.

5 comments:

  1. That looks like it was a lot of fun and you had a beautiful day for it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of hydroplane races. I have seen the blue angels and they always amaze me and scare me at the same time because they fly so close to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like a fun family outing and great weather. we are sweating here in dry santa fe and my kids don't have air conditioning in their place-can you imagine that????

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you had a really fun day with your family! I love going to the air shows..we have one in florida...the blue angels are my favorite! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a great day of fun. Fast boats and fast airplanes. I bet the kids loved that.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.