Saturday, August 30, 2008

Picnic Food

I have been cooking today. Tomorrow we head back to Whidbey Island for the big Phosie-Gertie Picnic!
I'll tell you more about those ancestral sisters in a later blog, but they are the great grandmothers who link the family members who will be gathering at the family compound tomorrow. Besides the cabin I have shown previously on my blog, the next door "rustic" cabin is owned by cousins. Tomorrow, three generations of Fosters, Fullers and Reeders will gather there to celebrate each other.
Many are already there, and cooking will be going on in both kitchens. Others, like me will cook at home and bring their offerings to the picnic spread.
There will be games, visiting, hugs, photos, awards, and lots of laughing and eating.
Today's pickings from our garden. The beans, zucchini and cucumbers were shared with neighbors. The herbs went into the potato salad.
We had just enough Gravenstein apples from our little espaliered tree for one mile high apple pie. For the chocolate lovers, like me, there are fudge brownies.
We will be staying on at the cabin into most of next week. We love the beach after all the summer folk have gone back to school and work. What a luxury our retirement is, and we feel blessed and grateful for our good fortune, as well as the gift of family.
Wishing you all a happy Labor Day weekend, with fun, food and love of family.
PS - As a follow up to my Bayview Market/Community Yard Sale post: some of you asked me what I bought. The answer is brownies, flowers, and this little treasure, a "find" that I will add to my extensive Pottery collection. At $4, it was one of the priciest items on the tables, but no where near its commercial value as a collectible. Some day I'll share our "collecting".

8 comments:

  1. would love to see more of your collectibles. sounds like a family reunion and picnic to me. we are getting some stormy and cooler weather because of the approaching hurricane in the south. only a sprinkle of rain though....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, I forgot to tell you, I'm related!
    Those desserts look sooo good!

    It's so nice you have a family to get together with, and share food, stories, and just be together. Sounds like fun!

    BTW, don't bake your pies in a convection oven, I made 2 apple rhubarb, raisin mile high pies in a convection oven.
    The crust was beautiful! The apples, rhubarb and raisins turned to the consistency of apple sauce, about 1/2 inch covering the bottom of the pie pan.

    Maybe I cooked it too long or on too high a temperature? Anyway, I don't take chances with my pies anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE collectibles and would love to see yours. Unfortunately, we had to sell so much of ours when we moved to Hawaii so I've got to live vicariously through you.
    Oh wow! Your treats look fabulous! How wonderful to be able to cook things from your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have relatives at the Jersey Shore, and they are very happy to see the summer folk go home. Eat, drink, and be merry at the little red cabin by the water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! Can I come eat? No? Well then...will you send me the bow wow bags? What was that you said? There's never anything left over? Shucks. Guess I'll just sit here and drool.

    I love your collectible! I'd also like to see more of your collection.

    You have a GREAT life, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun. I love picnics. I think I might want to go on one today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like it willbe a great reunion. many of those family names match up with my husband's family - do you have realtives in Indiana?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.