Saturday, January 24, 2009

Bushwhacking in Washington

No, not that Bush, and no, not that Washington.
It's time in the garden for winter pruning. Fruit trees and shrubs need to be headed back and shaped up. Dead wood and decay have to be cut back. To promote more blooming and control size, plants like hydrangeas need to be dead headed and thinned. Vines will be cut down at the knees because they bloom on new growth.
Then there are plants that need to be moved or eliminated because they are crowding or not flourishing where they are or are not contributing to the desired outcome. Some have just gotten ugly. Others have been neglected for a few years and need to be whacked back.
Winter storms have caused damage. There are tree limbs to clean up and broken shrubs to cut back and clear.
We began this work last week and have been working off and on since, in the cold and in the fog. We took a few days off for field trips and to install a new president in the White House, but then it's back to work. It's hard to get out there in the mornings, but once we do, the results are satisfying.
All of the prunings, trimmings and storm litter are cut up and shredded to be recycled in the yard. Running that machine is Tom's job. Making the piles is mine. Together we have worked through a mountain of material already.
The shredded mulch makes a great dressing on the pathways to keep down weeds and make for easier, cleaner walking. We do a lot of native, natural gardening, but there is a difference between nature and natural gardening. Nature takes care of itself. Gardening needs tending.
But wait. Cleaning up messes and damage. Cutting out deadwood and decay. Opening up areas to more light. Shaping up in hope of more blooming. Moving or eliminating that which is unruly or not contributing or over reaching its bounds. Recycling waste to provide better footing and discourage undesirable growth.
-
It there a metaphor here?
-
You bet'cha!

15 comments:

  1. LOL. Great metaphor. When I consider how beautiful your garden looks in the spring and summer, I know it is worth all the hard yard work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a great metaphor indeed! I can't wait to see pictures of it this spring! Lots of hard work, but I know it does pay off in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like fun but hard work. you have a lovely yard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever...We can't do any of ours until April at the earliest..

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was warm Friday in Virginia so we did some bushwacking too. It felt so good to do so! Things should begin to look fresher and cleaner and prettier after the first 100 days. LOL! Joann and Jack

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa!! I'm so worn out just reading about all you are doing I have to go lay down now. LOL
    I go outside and see that I have to do all of that too. MB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for both of you. It should make things easier when the growth begins. Mulching macines seem great devices. - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That's fabulous... your garden and your metaphor. You guys have really put a lot of work into your garden. I love seeing all that green. Nothing but snow and ice over here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup! Yup! The very word I was thinking is the word Kay used. Fabulous! I love your work ethic, your relationship with your hubby, your gardens, your mind, your metaphor... I love everything about this post. One of the best I've read in a long time (excuse the fragmented sentence... I can't help myself, I just like them)

    I can only dream of having the gorgeous hydrangeas in my garden that I've always wanted. But, I can sure enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did I forget to mention that I love your sense of humor and your gift for clever playing on words?
    "Bushwacking in Washington"...
    "Glass act"....
    Good stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, everybody.
    And Caryn, I'm still laughing at your comments! You have made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a big job. Love the metaphor!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like a huge job. It also reminds me that we need to be out pruning now as well. Where does the time go? We have to do this on weekends because it is dark by the time we come home. Add it to the list...never ending list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You had me going there for a minute Linda! haha.. How fun!! Finished? I have bushes in washington too.. need help!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.