Saturday, January 10, 2009

Cleaning Closets

This is the picture I have on my desktop, because it makes me happier than the view of my garden right now. It's gray and dark outside again. And I have baggage on my mind.
*
I cleaned closets today. Tom got into the act too, after cleaning up the garage. It felt good to get rid of stuff. We still have more than we need, but we made a dent in it and there are bags full ready to donate. Bags of baggage.
*
Yesterday our son got laid off from his job. I think it came as a total surprise. I don't know for sure because I haven't talked to him yet. He doesn't want me to. He knows I'm a worrier, and he doesn't need my fretting added to what he's already dealing with. I understand that, but of course, I can't get it off of my mind. I'll have to break the silence soon. Baggage on my mind.
*
Jake is a land surveyor, and was working for a large company in Seattle. But of course construction, the main reason for urban surveying, has taken a hit, just like so many other businesses. Boeing announced yesterday that is is laying off another 4,200 positions too. He got the news yesterday and sent out an email before turning in his cell phone, which was a work phone. He asked people not to call or email him to ask "What are you going to do?" He doesn't know yet.
*
Of course I knew that sooner of later the economic crisis would hit us in some way, but I was hopeful that Jake would be able to keep his job. He was too. Not now. It all becomes so real when it happens to you and yours. Nothing like up close and personal.
*
The outlook isn't so good for finding work. Rough times may be ahead for him. He is 33, single and independent. He likes it that way. But we're here for back up if he needs it.
*
I read today that George W. Bush has been working on a legacy project which has been published on a White House Web site in a 52 page booklet called "Highlights of Accomplishments and Results". The book lists his top 100 achievements. I'm having a hard time thinking of any accomplishments, and the results are nothing I'd want in my legacy. I'm sure there are lots of unemployed folks who would be happy to add a chapter, or perhaps an alternative text altogether, maybe with the title "Lowlights and Failures and the Painful Results".
*
But I may be bitter. I have baggage on my mind.

13 comments:

  1. sorry to hear your bad news. I read I think on CNN where several people had quit their jobs to go out on their own in new fields. It's quite a scary time but worrying really doesn't help. Hope things improve up your way and that the sun comes out and shines at the very least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Linda, for your comments. They help! and I'm so sorry about your son! Adam worries on a day by day basis, waiting to see if he's going to make it through one more week. Consequently, I worry, too. It is so hard on the young men and women, who are independent, and wanting to do their own thing. I surely could use some sunshine right now, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to hear the jake was laid off. He is a very smart young man, and I'm sure something will come his way.
    I also need some sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The gosh darn thing about a deep recession or deep depression (call it whatever you want) is that it is like a snowball rolling down a steep hill---once it gets rolling it is very hard to stop it. I know, not cheery news.

    Another analogy would be like droping a pebble in a brook---the ripples keep growing and growing and the circle gets bigger and bigger. Back here in Virginia I know college grads and lawyers who have been given the pink slip.D.C. isn't recession/depression proof either.

    I don't know the answer to this economic mess. I think it will take about 25years to climb out of this economic sinkhole (another analogy) and I sadly won't be around to see the good times return.

    I guess my thought for today is to try to find something positive about this crisis. For one, it sure will build a new mindset---one that is opposite of shop till you drop and consume till you are deeperand deeper in debt. There will be a new generation X,Y and Z who will be savers like their grandparents and great grandparents were.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope Jake gets a new job soon, and I sure hope things get better soon, but usually it takes awhile. You're right, tho, we never know what something is like until we experience it ourselves.

    So many people suffering now with finances, and so many rich with money to burn from governmental handouts which would have stimulated the economy if given to those losing their homes.

    Inauguration day coming soon...

    Mothers worry..take an extra one a day!

    I sometimes wear a rubber band on my wrist, and pop it when I am aware I'm worrying..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry to hear about your son's news. And the mother in you also feels it deeply, too. My brother is in the title searching business, and he has been struggling week by week with the housing market the way that it is.
    George W just doesn't get it. I hope a silver lining to your cloud appears very soon. I'll be thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, so sorry to learn of your son losing his job. As he seems like a positive person, and being single he will surely find an alternative. Often as one door closes another opens. Best wishes for him. - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry about your son's job loss. My son keeps expecting the same news, and he has told me exactly the same thing about not asking what he'll do because he doesn't know.

    I find it better to ignore Bush these days because his efforts at making the last 8 years seem anything more than the horror they've been will just make me angry. Unproductive at this point.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tough not to be bitter when things are such a mess..My sister just let me know that her husband was laid off and that will be difficult for them..We are helping my daughter for now too....it is a worry..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry about Jake losing his job. The sun surely needs to come out and dry up some of that baggage for you and many others.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know a lot about baggage! it can really wear you down

    Sorry about your son's job. My son is having some troubles too - they cut out the night shift so he lost the differential plus his commute for the day shift is twice as long and he lost his carpool buddy so it's twice as expensive

    all we can do is the best we can do

    I know that sounds weak - it sounds that way in my own head

    ReplyDelete
  12. I certainly can stand by your side on this one. I have three sons. All three have had their companies basically fold and were laid off. Two of them had very good jobs... one of them had a killer, dream job. They're all wondering and worrying about the future. Only one of them has found other permanent employment, but it's a huge drop in pay and much more difficult for him.

    My son-in-law is a self employed Mortgage Broker. The housing market decline has caused a great deal of pain for all four of my children. And me as well. (I'm a realtor. But, unlike my sons, and yours... I don't really need to work. I just like to)

    I refuse to get into the political blame game... but, Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae are at the heart of the housing crisis which has left my entire family unemployed. That one does not lie squarely, or only, on the shoulders of President Bush. There aren't enough fingers on my hand to point at those who's greed and hunger for power caused the mess.... many of whom remain in office, and in leadership positions. We are at least ridding ouselves of Bush... it's those left behind still making decisions for us that concern me. That being said...

    The main focus for me is what's happening now that will improve the market and open up employment opportunities that will not be merely bandaid jobs for our boys.

    I bleed with them and with you. But, I can't let go of the hope that before 2009 has been put to bed the financial landscape will be greener for those we love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry about your son's job. It's been hitting home here for a while now and unless something is figured out by or for the auto industry it will only get worse. I'm afraid there aren't any quick or easy answers now that we are so deep in this mess. You might find the book I blogged about today an interesting read though.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.