Sunday, March 22, 2009

Cousins

Isn't it interesting that as we get older, as we move beyond those busy years filled with children and work and activities, we become more interested in our roots and in reconnecting with our extended family.
On Saturday we traveled to Tahuya on Hood Canal for a visit with two of my cousins, Kathy and Mike.
The Olympic Mountains were gleaming in the welcome sunshine, the first clear day in a while.
This is Kathy's cabin in Tahuya. This is the scene of many happy family gatherings for her, but now, as a widow and with her children and grandchildren in that "busy" stage, she seldom comes here. Cousins can become a good way to share this place with so many memories for her. We didn't play in the creek that runs through her property. Instead she met with a contractor to see about shoring up the eroding bank. Change happens.
We came for several purposes: to visit, to enjoy a fun day trip, and to share and exchange family stories, photos and genealogical records.
We took a walk around the community, to the beach access for those with beach rights.
We dumped oyster shells off the dock after those who enjoy them had some for lunch. The shells usually contain the starts of tiny new oysters and the old shells become the nursery for a new generation. This is the area where the Tahuya River empties into Hood Canal. An extension of Puget Sound, this is tidal, salt water where shellfish and crabs can be harvested. Kathy and Mike had done the gathering during the previous day's low tide. Kathy and Mike are the children of two of my father's sisters.
We are hoping to organize a reunion of all the cousins from the Norquist family. We have all grown up with separate lives, and yet we have a common heritage, a tie that binds.

13 comments:

  1. We had a cousins' reunion for 5-6
    years in a row, but it kind of fell by the wayside. Maybe it ran its course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a cousins get together last year, too. I'll do another one this year. Funny but if I don't do it, nobody else will. Maybe it's because I'm the oldest cousin. Gee, what a strange feeling to realize I'm the OLDEST cousin. Your cousin's place is just gorgeous. I'm so glad you had such a great time, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cousins! I have quite a few and you are right---we don't see them very often. We used to have family reunions on my Mothers side but that stopped about 6 years ago. I don't know why---no interest maybe. But Family is the Tie that binds. MB

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the cousin reunion about three years ago when I went to visit my son in Dallas, TX. Most of them I hadn't seen in nearly 40 years. David had a new house, big, but no furniture to speak of and they all showed up with lawn chairs and we had so much fun. I'm really glad we did it when we did as the husband of one of my cousins, died a year later with pancreatic cancer and another cousin I was very close to as a child was diagnosed with breast cancer. Don't know if I'll be able to see her again. Glad we had such a wonderful get together when we did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cousins are family...but today they live so far away and they are all grandparents themselves usually. I'm trying to organize a cousin's reunion this summer. Some are dying off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to meet your cousins Linda. I enjoyed your photos too. - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't had a cousin's get together for a long time...maybe ten years. Non of us live near each other anymore. Tisk! Loved the pictures....think I'll work on getting us all together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to join you on a cousin's retreat. Let me know the next time you have a get-together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Linda. What a beautiful retreat... and what beautiful words expressing your feelings about your family.

    My cousins are like sisters to me.
    My children's favorite memories were made with their cousins and they have an incredibly tight family circle. It's been such a joy!

    This post was salve for my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pictures! I'm an only child but my husband is one of 13 and I have loved being a part of a large family. They were raised separately in an asortment of childrens homes but became very close as adults. Only 6 are living now but we stay in touch with everybody.

    I sat up a family group on Facebook where we post pictures and they keep up with each other through their individual pages as well. As administrator of the 'group' I send e-mails when there's news in the family.

    I also do a blog called "Willie's Kids " for them. You can see it at http://willieskids.blogspot.com/

    Since they didn't grow up together they have a lot of different kinds of experiences to talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This has inspired me to get into contact with my only 2 cousins..It's been a while..beautiful photos Linda... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. their home is enchanting!! and what amazing scenery -

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful to get together with family on such a beautiful spring day! I love the cabin.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.