Monday, March 9, 2009

A Day of Contrasts

The day began early, dark, and cold in Seattle. It was snowy, but the cab did arrive on time at 6:15 AM. Our flight to Phoenix was delayed for de-icing, so we departed at 9:00. The flight to Phoenix was uneventful, the best kind. By 1:30, we had our rental car, had eaten a quick lunch, and were well on our way north. Yea! Cactus and 70 degrees. We stopped at Montezuma's Castle and Montezuma's Well. The area is full of anciet Ancestral Pueblan ruins. Our fun little VW Beetle rental was having fun too, even when we made it go up over 6ooo ft, almost to Flagstaff, and then back south through Oak Creek Canyon. It was 40 degrees up there with patches of melting snow. The canyon rock walls are spectacular, but there are few places to pull over to take a photo. We are now tucked away for the night at the Best Western Inn of Sedona. This was the view from our terrace at sunset. Check out that full moon! Nighty-night. Red Rocks jeep tour starts at 9:00AM tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I had no idea you were going to Northern AZ! I grew up in Flagstaff so know this country well. I hope you enjoy your stay there. Beautiful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous scenery...enjoy your trip. i love the sw deserts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love Montezuma's Castle! and Sedona! Your pictures brought back great memories of visits there! Glad your flight was delightfully uneventful! Hope you have a marvelous break for the cold! The high for tomorrow is supposed to 38!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yae, Linda! These are great shots! Wow! Thanks so much for taking us along with you. This is a ton of fun! I love the Beetle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love SEDONA. It is so beautiful. I have a friend who lives in Tucson. Your photos are a walk back in time for me. Keep 'em coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. too bad you have such a crappy view out the hotel window!! Not!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That scenery is breathtaking...

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.