Sunday, March 15, 2009

From Cave to Corral

Today we headed southeast of Tucson to Kartchner Caverns State Park and Tombstone. Kartchner Caverns are rather recent in their discovery, 1974, and even more recent in their accessibility to the public. I have no photos to show you because no cameras are allowed in the caves. These are living caves, meaning they are still being formed. Water is still seeping into the limestone, still creating the incredible stalactites, stalagmites, curtains, columns, and other wonders. Human contamination, even in the form of just a touch, can kill that action, so extreme precautions are taken to protect this natural wonder. And yet, amazingly, they are handicap accessible! When the discoverers and property owners worked with the state to create this park, they insisted that the cave be available for all of the public to see. About noon we were ready to move on to Tombstone. A stark contrast to the natural beauty of the caverns, this old mining town is a dusty relic of the days of the lawless wild west. And yet it is a real place with a real history, a real town too tough to die. Of course it's most famous story is of the events of a day in October, 1881, when three "cowboys" died in the shoot out with Doc Holiday and the Earps at OK Corral. We watched a reenactment of this and other tales of this infamous town, put on by local volunteer actors. It was really quite fun. No trip to Tombstone is complete without a stop at Boot Hill. While these victims of the shootout against the Earps were "murdered" or not is still debated, but there were plenty of others buried there who were. It was a rough life in this frontier town. We finished our travels today by stopping at the east side section of Saguaro National Park to watch the sun set.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you're having such a great vacation! Seeing so many lovely and interesting sights! I love Arizona although I wouldn't want to live there -- too hot for me, although after this winter I might feel differently! Be glad you weren't here today! Thanks for sharing all the fun! Look forward to it every night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your photos are like postcards!!

    and I love that the cave are accessible for all

    continue to have a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun trip. I love the reenactment. It always brings the past to life doesn't it? Thanks for the tour. I almost feel like I am there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an interesting place that town..the wild west really looks like it was a tough place to survive in...

    ReplyDelete
  5. fun place, I'm definitely adding it to my list of places to visit soon...love the sunset photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that sunset photo! So glad you're having such a great visit to Arizona. It's so much fun reading about your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda,
    I am really enjoying taking the trip with you.
    Love from your sister

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.