Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sedona and Red Rocks

I woke up early, so before breakfast I went for a little walk and had time to enjoy the early morning sun lighting up the red rocks. At 9:00 our driver and red jeep met us at the hotel and we were off. We were headed somewhere up there. Soon off the paved roads, we bounced and jounced over ruts and rocks. I thought, "Oh, no. It's going to be a long morning." so I willed myself to relax my body, and especially my neck, and go with the flow. When we reached the end of the road, we were at 6000 ft and had a great view. Don't worry, Irene. I didn't really let it poke me. Back down the bumpy road, we had a short break, and then we headed out to Soldier Pass Trail. If I thought the first road was bumpy, it had nothing on this trail! The picture above is not the road, but sometimes it looked like this. An early Indian Paint Brush was blooming next to an agave. After three hours of jeep tours, we were ready to shake off the dust and hit Uptown Sedona. We had lunch and then did the shops. It was pleasantly warm, warm enough, we decided to have that hot fudge sundae I had been craving since before we left Seattle. This is the view from our ice cream eating terrace. We made fairly quick work of the street, so we caught the free bus to the Tlaquepaque, an arts center where the real treasures are to be found, if you can pay the price. Otherwise you just look, like we did. We did buy a handcrafted, Arizona made Christmas ornament to add to the travel section of our tree. Then we closed out the day with dinner at the Oak Creek Brewery and Pub. Good food and a good view from our dining window as the sun was setting. Some may think we're nuts, but as beautiful as Sedona is, we're ready to move on. Tomorrow we're back on the road.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having a fabulous trip and I'm so happy for you! As I said last night, I've been there several times and just loved it! Look forward to the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are having a great trip so far!
    a) I love Indian Paintbrush!
    b) We used to get ice-cream every time we went to Sedona when I was a kid. Brings back good memories
    c) I've been wondering about that pub. I'll have to check it out next time I'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the red rocks of Sedona. We haven't done jeep tours there yet. And I love Tlaquepaque for shopping and eating.

    I hope you got to see that beautiful church framed by the red rocks that has a gigantic cross: The Church of the Holy Cross. The first time we went inside that church an organ recital was playing softly and the inside was as pretty as the outside. And the view of the red rocks and the sweeping vistas was so beautiful I broke down and cried for joy. It was a very moving experience.

    I hope your jeep driver took you there or you went on your own. That place ranks up there as one of the top ten places I have seen in my lifetime.

    http://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_pages/0037-0811-3012-4251.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for taking us along this trip with you, Linda. I'm totally loving it. I especially like the ice cream sundae part.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been there but years ago, would love to return but probably not take the jeep tour just hike around. We are lucky enough to live among the red rocks of southern Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful scenery. I would love to go there someday. Probably not in this lifetime.

    How do you pronounce 'tlaquepaque'?

    MB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, I'm so glad you are enjoying Arizona! The views are amazing, and now I am craving a hot fudge sundae too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow..what an adventure and I have never been to that part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved Sedona when I was there. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.