Sunday, January 14, 2018

Busy Week, Slow Down Sunday

I have continued on my mission to Reduce. I am now well down on my list, having this week crossed off cleaning out kitchen cupboards, the pantry, the china closet, coat closet, and the guest room closet. And yes, Kay, I did clean out my refrigerator. 

As for reducing me, at least I didn't gain, and worked off that fancy french toast from last Sunday. We have walked every day and I have been faithfully doing my stretching exercises daily, trying to keep arthritis at bay. 

We also went to two movies this week, The Post, and The Darkest Hour. I can highly recommend both of these movies. They are both historical, both skillfully presented, and both very well acted. I found them both to be inspirational. 

Today, Sunday, we decided to take the day off from any work projects, take our walking to a new location, and do some urban trekking. We drove into the city to the Fremont area, parked along the ship canal about a mile from the Sunday Market, and walked along the canal before checking out the market. 
 There were some interesting ducks in the canal. 

 This female Common Merganser was enjoying her bath time. 

 There were Greater Scaups.
 Dinosaurs - moved from their original location at Seattle Center, from the World Fair days. 
 Lots of bikes everywhere. You pick them up, put in your code or phone app, and ride wherever you want to go, then leave them for someone else. 
 Birds, bikes, bridges, and boats - lots going on along the canal. 
 Common Merganser males. 

 Under the Aurora Bridge.



 JP Patches and Gertrude are still doing their thing. Long gone but never forgotten from the childhood of many Seattlites. 

 The Fremont Sunday Flea Market is always funky. 
 We browsed and talked to a few vendors. We saw a new kind of food vendor, Raclette, where half wheels of cheese were being melted over burners and then scraped to top baked potatoes or salad ingredients with, warm, melty goodness. 
 And then we walked on, back along the canal to where we had parked our car. 




From here we drove west to Ballard, where the Sunday Farmers Market was in progress. But first we parked ourselves outside at the Starbucks across the street for a little coffee and chocolate. Here's our view from our sidewalk table. In case you didn't notice, it was a beautiful day, and folks were out en masse. 


 Tom went full bore caloric with a double chocolate brownie. I was content with one of the chocolate covered grahams and will save the other for another day. Such sacrifice. 




Of course I made up for the calorie economizing here. No one can resist these freshly made mini donuts, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and so hot you have to wait for them to cool down a bit. 
We sampled cheese and smoked salmon and toffee and then bought freshly made ham and brie crepes for lunch. 
Then we found a bench and just sat in the sun for a while, listening to street music and people watching before we walked back to the car.

Since returning home we have accomplished very little. I guess now I'd better send this post on its way and figure out what we're having for supper. 

12 comments:

  1. All things I love about the Pacific Northwest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So go for a good long walk and you get all kinds of great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasn't the weather just lovely today?? Nice to see you took advantage of it and went out and about. We walked too but a lot of trails are still littered with debris from the ice storm so were limited as to where we could walk. Those crepes look so good. I plan on making some this coming week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fun day out! That planter of Pansy and Kale looked awesome and I enjoyed seeing some very green grass. Lot of people there, I saw only two people yesterday...and none the day before or the day before that...the cold is keeping us at home and crowds brew flu germs that we don't need:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a splendid January day! I would love to live where you do! We are roots deep in Texas. However, we are going on an Alaskan cruise in the fall and may well linger afterwards for a visit. I’ve been to your area many times Back when my daughter was a synchronized swimmer. It would be such a good experience to visit there once again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun day. It looks/sounds perfect. I can't wait until we get some of this kind of weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a magnificent day yesterday. You made the most of it, too. I went to the movies and saw The Post and loved it! And I've also seen Darkest Hour and enjoyed it too, especially seeing Winston Churchill brought to life by Gary Oldman! Your pictures were delightful to see Seattle all out enjoying our lovely day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If only I had a little of your will-power and determination! It was around Thanksgiving when my healthy eating and losing weight came to a screeching halt. Now I cannot get back to it! Eight pounds, I worked to lose and now those pounds are back. That walk along the canal was beautiful, and I love seeing the markets. Think I will suggest to Poppy that we go to Wake Forest early next Saturday morning and walk around at the Farmer Market. I'll let you know how that goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so amazing, Linda. Even on your slow days, you're not really slowing down. This looks like an amazing day to savor. What?!? You cleaned the cupboards and pantry too???? Arghhhh! I haven't even touched those. I should........... but I haven't. Maybe next year, when I get ready for 2019.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Kay. You are amazing.

    I have recently discovered a class/program called TheFascianator.com. It is a technique involving a 3" pvc pipe with rug and sock developed by a man and his wife here in Hawaii, rolling the entire body (staying away from the spine, ribs, and joints) with excellent results for people with all kinds of body problems, including arthritis. He has a practitioner in Seattle. Much more effective than those foam rollers, balls, or bumpy things. Hurts like the dickens the first time, and then surprisingly, hardly hurts after a few weeks of rolling.

    One of these days I will be posting about it. Many wanna posts on my list for this year. Cleaning out my refrigerator, closets, etc. are a distant last, but I do admire you for how your home looks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely outing, yummy food to resist and enjoy, perfect day it looks like!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.