Monday, January 8, 2018

Working and Playing

Saturday, in my efforts to REDUCE, I cleaned out closets. The donation pile is growing. 
 I finally bit the bullet and got rid of the last of my professional clothes and my dress up clothes. They were all of a size I hope not to be ever again. I have one good pants suit I bought after I lost weight, and some sort of dressy casual clothes. That will have to do. I spend most of my time in jeans and tee shirts anyway, short sleeved for summer, and long sleeved for winter, with fleece layers over the top. 

We got in a walk on Saturday in a gap in the rain, and then I made a big pot of beef stew. This is a photo after we had our first meal of it. We'll eat on it for several days, along with a green salad. 
 On Sunday, after a week of working in the house, I decided we needed to play. Since it was spitting rain all day, we decided to take the light rail into the city to SODO (south of downtown) to a large antique mall. We spent several hours looking at lots of other people's treasures. I did buy one thing, a McCoy pot like one I had before that got broken. 
By then my legs and feet were very tired from all of the "slow walking". We were right across the street from the Starbucks headquarters, but their coffee shop was closed on Sunday, so we walked several blocks up 1st Ave to the Macrina Bakery for a late lunch/brunch. We had eaten there once before and I remembered the brioche french toast, and that's what I ordered: three thick cut eggy slices, flavored with cinnamon and vanilla, then drenched in caramel syrup, topped with maple whipped cream and chopped dates and cashews, served with chicken sausages. Oh my! It was 2:00 by then, I was hungry, and I ate every bite. So much for reducing me. 

Tom had a breakfast "sandwich" of omelette, lox, and sour cream on a brioche bun. He did leave a few potatoes on the plate.


Because my legs were still hurting, I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening in my recliner, where I watched the Golden Globe Awards. I must say it was an interesting presentation, even though I didn't know most of the TV shows or movies. I loved all of the black gowns. Oprah was magnificent!  

Today we got in our 3.35 mile walk, but besides that I haven't done much except the laundry. This evening we will help celebrate Isaac's 15th birthday. 

Tomorrow I'll get back to more reducing projects. I think the pantry is next. And me, of course. 

13 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful pot. Sounds like a fun shopping trip, except for the aching legs. I think I would have eaten every bite of that French toast too. I loved the Golden Globes, I watch them too every year. You must be gearing up to watch all the Oscar movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dearly love reducing stuff in my house, me, not so much. I no longer own a dress, skirt, slip, or hose. I like it that way. I love fleece sheets but they take up a lot of room. Daughter got carried away buying them from me. They’re taking over my closet. Ordered me some of the vacuum storage bags to reduce the amount of space they occupy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bags and boxes are a good start at reducing. Yes, we certainly wear different clothes in retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched the Golden Globes without sound until Oprah, and then I turned on the sound and sure did enjoy her incredible talk! I stayed to listen to the rest of the awards. It was pretty wonderful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty piece of pottery! Oprah pretty much shouted her speech she could have been a preacher:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have yet to hear any of Oprah's speech, but I have heard the buzz about a run for presidency so it must have been something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Linda! Just checking in while I have the computer booted up. Doesn’t happen much, of late. Looks like you’ve been keeping very busy! I love roaming antique malls! I usually walk out with only one small purchase, too. I don’t need more 'stuff'! I’ve been getting back into walking and am trying for two miles every 2nd or 3rd day, building up to more. Happy New Year! XO!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Start and stop shopping is more tiring than hiking. It takes more energy to put a body in motion than to keep it in motion. I tell myself that anyway.
    Love brioche buns with anything on them. Sinfully good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. An impressive donation pile. Does that make you a bag lady? Your replacement pot is lovely & it sounds like you enjoyed playing at the antique mall. Your late lunch sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too am reducing my clutter on my desk an din my closet. It feels great to be able to see some empty spaces here and there and feel more organized.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice big donation pile! And another great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You really managed to collect a lot of things to donate. We did too although I have to say I cleaned out most of my school clothes before we moved to Hawaii.

    We recorded the Golden Globes and I watched it last night. It was fun to see all the different styles you could design in black. I did like Oprah's speech also.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poppy just brought home two good size boxes so that I can start cleaning out. We both seem to wear the same things over and over, even though the closets and drawers are packed. I'm sick of it! You and Tom do such fun things together, and find the best places to eat.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.