Friday, January 5, 2018

Seize the Day


Winter arrangement gathered from our yard, in the downstairs bathroom. 

Once I wrote about my one word intention for 2018 -Reduce- and committed myself, I was motivated to get going on making that happen. So today I seized that motivation while it was still warm and got busy.

Of course that was this afternoon, after we had stayed for three hours at breakfast, just talking and laughing and sometimes despairing, depending on the topic. Then Tom and I went shopping for, and ended up ordering a custom frame for Irene's painting that she gave us for Christmas. 

After that I took my hour long lunch with the newspaper, so you see I was well rested by the time I tackled the under-the-sink cupboards. I also decided to give my self a day off from exercising, partly because it was raining. 

So now I have cleaned out and reorganized under the sinks, and all of the drawers of the three bathrooms and the kitchen. I did, absolutely, REDUCE the stuff that was stored there.

Also, the projects that were waiting on the washer/dryer are taken care of, and the last of the cookies (not counting the ones still in the freezer, which will stay there) have been disposed of, as in eaten. Now maybe I can start on reducing me, although there is still a LOT of chocolate in the pantry, and I know where every bit of it is. :-/.
It's dark and dreary again here in Seattle, but at least we are not freezing. We count our blessings. 
This is the winter arrangement on my kitchen table. Isaac gave me the salt and pepper polar bears and Tom gave me the boots, both just because they liked them. They are now filled with the appropriate substances and add a bit of color and whimsy. 

Stay warm out there. If you are stuck at home, clean out a cupboard. Tomorrow I'm tackling a closet. 

13 comments:

  1. Your winter arrangements are pretty, and you chose a word "reduce" that would work for me too, as that is a good thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your arrangements, esp. the bathroom one.
    You're off to a great start with reducing. I'm still putting away Christmas things but am reducing that as well.
    Wasn't today a gray and wet day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cleaned out a closet! It’s a drop in the bucket of what I need to do! Step by step! Here a little - there a little!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should clean some stuff out, too, But I won't, most likely. You do make me think it would be a good idea to reduce the clutter in the living room at least! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you to set a goal of reducing. We've reduced but it never seems to end. There's always more stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get in those moods of cleaning out nooks and crannies and lately we have had just the kind of weather to encourage one to stay indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck on continuing to make good progress on reducing (both your clutter and you). Maybe you could tell Tom to hide the chocolate somewhere. That's a pretty arrangement from the garden. My Lunaria seed pods never look that nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are putting me to shame so that I may have to do some decluttering also. It is too cold here to go outside so why not? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those polar bears and boots are absolutely adorable and really add to the seasonal spirit. Sigh... I still haven't finished everything I was supposed to do. Arrrghhhh....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your table settings and floral arrangement! Mari Kondo's book about tidying has changed my life - though I still have many more layers to unclutter and get rid of.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm in the cleaning mood also but away from home for a family celebration...

    ReplyDelete
  12. As always, you're an inspiration. One of these days, I'll tackle some de cluttering myself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your winter arrangement. It is very colorful and cheery for January.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.