Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Early April in the Garden

After surprise sunshine on Easter Sunday, we had two more good days for walking and working in the garden. I protected the clump of trillium at the base of the big cedar tree that hangs over the patio, while I used the blower to clean off the latest dusting of pollen and cedar "flowers". 

The primroses scattered around the edge of the lawn glow like jewels. 
 While down on my hands and knees cleaning the beds, refreshing plants or replacing them with new ones, I found the violets blooming. 



The forsythia glows from down at the bottom of the garden. 

The path to the deck is all cleaned up too. 
I replaced old scraggly heucheras with new, brightly colored plants in several places. 
The Magnolia stellata is in bloom down by the deck. 


Camellias come into bloom depending on their variety. This white one makes good cut flowers for the house. 

New green on these barberries lights up the path to the front of the house. 


I wish the true blue color of these chionodoxa came through in the photo. 
We are hoping our Mason bees hatch out and find the Oregon Grape blooms. They are wonderfully fragrant. 


On Monday it was warm enough to open up the green house
and give the geraniums a sun bath. Today they are all back inside with the door closed. 
Today the buttercups, Ranunculus, will not have their shiny faces open to the sun like they did on Monday. 
Green is bubbling up all over. 
The daffodils are almost done.
Soon it will be tulip time.
While I was crawling around, cleaning and planting, Tom was reclaiming the lawn from the raccoon damage and the moss. 
Tom put on moss killer about a month ago. We have put down the first application of grub killer chemicals, although they are still alive down there, but no longer feeding on the sod roots. The raccoons haven't been around for a while, and we are hoping they will move on to someone else's yard. Tom has roughed up the soil where the sod was stripped off by the raccoons and raked the dead moss out and has reseeded and dressed the seeded areas with compost. The rain today was right on time. 
He still has more to do on the lower lawn, but on the shady half he is just going to let the moss win. It's green too, after all, and happier than grass there. 

It looks like we'll have on and off rain for the next five days or so. I might have to find inside jobs to do. 

14 comments:

  1. Sure is pretty! I haven't seen any trillium in the woods yet, but it shouldn't be long. It's finally raining here, and it is supposed to continue all during our hike tomorrow. I'll be ready. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can feel your excitement at being able to get your hands back in the dirt. The yard is looking nice and in a few weeks no doubt it will be a beautiful garden. Spring is a happy time in nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to buy a forsythia bush this year. Nothing says spring more than that and pussy willows. We have snow again here in Michigan. I don't think spring is ever coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU HAVE MANY COLORFUL BLOOMS. IT LOOKS WARM. MY BLUEBELLS AND LILY HAVEN'T STARTED YET. USUALLY THEY HAVE STARTED BY MID MARCH.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Takes lots of work, but your yard is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your yard is looking good and the Forsythia is amazing!
    You're giving in to the moss that grows in the shaded lawn and I've decided to give in to the wild bleeding heart that has taken over my flower beds. To think I didn't even plant any in the first place. Don't know where it came from but it looks like it's here to stay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spring has sprung in your area. Your garden is looking neat and tidy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your yard is filled with Easter colors. Now if I had seen Easter days like that throughout my life I might be more enamored of the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden is looking fantastic as always & it's really great to hear that the raccoons haven't been back to visit. All those bright blooms must make you smile as you're working outside!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hum, never thought of using a blower on the pollen. Think I will see if it works on my car. Tired of washing it. Thanks. Everything is looking good and hope the raccoons leave your grass alone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your gardens are lovely!

    Grace & Peace
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful to experience Spring through your garden. I hope to see your wisteria soon! That one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope the Coons leave your yard alone! You have Spring!! So good to see:)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.