Monday, April 2, 2018

Easter Sunday 2018

That April fool was messing with us Sunday morning, greeting us with an unpredictable weather forecast that kept changing. Would it rain on my morning walk? Would it be a wet egg hunt later, after dinner?  He kept us guessing.

While many people go to church on Easter Sunday, in my more recent years I have turned to my pagan roots and honor the goddess Eostre, for whom the holiday is named. No, that doesn't mean I worship pagan gods, but just that if I find anything sacred, it is nature, and Easter means spring awakening and new life. On Easter Sunday I go in search for signs of that awakening. 

We are fortunate here in the coastal Pacific Northwest that spring arrives when the calendar says it does, and while spring is long and chilly and unsettled, it does burst forth. Easter was early this year, and spring has had a setback or two, but it is happening. And so I set out on my Easter morning walk, letting Tom come with me but only under the condition that he could not talk  about politics or anything practical, but just pay attention to our surroundings. 

A chilly wind was blowing and it was spitting rain, but only a tease, as we walked down hill to Crystal Springs Park.

The greening was happening.
Skunk cabbage in a swampy area. 

Colt's foot and myrtle. 
Henbit, a form of Lamium.
 Oregon grape - Mahonia aquafolium
The springs at Crystal Springs

 The pretty pink salmon berry blooms wouldn't hold still in the breeze.

Trillium, commonly called Wake Robin. 

 Big leaf maple leaf bud ready to pop. 

 Licorice fern grows on tree trunks.


 Indian plum


 Big leaf maple flowers


 Walking up hill through the neighborhood, passing nodding daffodils. 


 And flowering cherry trees. 
 This house and car just looked like Easter. 

In Crestview Park, where we walk almost every day, the cherries have opened this week. 


 Native red flowering currant - Ribes sanguineum 

 Native dogwood


We walked at a more leisurely pace, partly because much of it was uphill, but also to stop and take photos and enjoy what we were seeing.  We walked about 3.3 miles before arriving back home. It was peaceful and  refreshing.

Then it was time to shower and get ready to go to gather with the family for Easter dinner. 

Fresh berries ready to top the dessert.
 The happy eaters, interrupted for a photo. 
That April Fool had teased us about the weather, but by the time Easter Bunny Jake had hidden eggs all over the yard, the sun was shining and the grass was dry and the gang was ready for the hunt. 

 Eggs counted, we were sent out to find more. 

 And upon opening our eggs, we found a few April Fool surprises. I thought of Charley Brown when I opened this one. 
 Tom got a softer surprise. 
 Irene, who found the most eggs, also got the most foolery, including the slug. Fortunately it wasn't a real one. 
 There was good stuff too. 
 And after all of that fun, of course there was dessert: fruit pizza and key lime pie. 



It was a delicious day. 

14 comments:

  1. Glad to see the Reeder family tradition remains strong. Looks like it was a good day for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the laugh! Jake has a great sense of humor. Is that a rock in your pink egg? Thank Eostre that wasn't a real slug. I turn more pagan as the years go on as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a rock. There were rocks and fir cones and stuff he found in the garage and who knows where else. I think Jill was in on it too.

      Delete
  3. How I enjoyed your walk and all the signs of spring you photographed! Our April Fool's Easter was two inches of snow and ice - unusual for Missouri this time of year. Unfortunately it is so cold that nothing is melting yet either. Your Easter table is lovely and the egg hunt looks like fun with all the extra surprises!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely Easter Egg hunt. I wish we had been with our kids and I would have fun doing just that...pranking them. But they were off with the other grandparents in the Caribbean. Thanks for taking me on that spring walk, it smelled so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun egg hunt! That adapter might come in handy! It looks so pretty and spring like there! Beautiful table too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. You are amazing. You go for a nice long walk and prepare a beautiful table for the family dinner. I stress out so much when I have to feed people - I waste time and energy worrying about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the table and made the twice baked potatoes and the key lime pie on Saturday, but dinner was at our daughter's house, where I helped some more.
      She went to church and I went for a walk and then we put it all together, together.

      Delete
  7. looks like fun, and beautiful spring weather...

    ReplyDelete
  8. With all the blooms out it looks like you are at the peak of spring. There are many forms and shapes of Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We got sun here, too, not expecting it at all. It was a beautiful day. Our foliage is just a little behind yours, it seems, since we are a bit farther north, I guess. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun to have egg surprises. Loved all the color and smiled at the Henbit. I think I have the market of that plant cornered. We are enjoying a sunny, very windy day with a freeze for tonight. This hasn't been a boring season.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow what a fun idea to fool with those eggs. It is fun to see adults articipating in the filling of baskets. Thanks for sharing what’s at your end. The green here is not out yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're lucky to live here where spring arrives when the calendar says it's supposed to! My sister who lives in Alaska sent pictures of her grandchildren hunting for eggs in the snow. Looks like your gang had a grand time!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.