Monday, April 23, 2018

Tulip Day - The Rest of the Story

When Tom and I go exploring, we try to pack as much into a day as we can. Last Wednesday was one of those days.

I had heard an ad on the radio about the Tulip Festival Street Fair being held in Mount Vernon, so after leaving RoozenGaarde Gardens, that's where we went. 

Mount Vernon is the county seat of Skagit County, and the chief commercial and social hub of the valley. A river runs through it. 
 The Skagit River.
After driving through the main part of town, we saw a sign advertising the street fair for ....next week. Darn. So we parked and explored the Riverwalk Plaza.


 We found a couple of antique stores that we checked out. 


This pottery caught my eye, of course. I bought the Weller vase on the top, right. It is now sitting on my kitchen counter. 

When we were driving up island that morning, I saw the sign to Rosario Beach, part of Deception Pass State Park. We had never been there, and I have decided that when we have time we need to go to places close by where we have never stopped before. So, on the way back to the cabin, we did. 

 It's a beautiful little peninsula jutting out into Puget Sound, with a calm cove on one side and the open sound on the other. 


 On a summer day this place will be packed, but it was very quiet and peaceful this spring day. 
 The Maiden of Deception Pass watched over us. I did not take the time to read the legend on the signs.  


 We went on the trail to the right until it appeared  I might need to have mountain goat hooves, so we turned around and took the trail to the left. 


 There was a warning here, but it looked easy. 




 We retraced our steps when we got to the "hazardous" part. 



 It was a great little diversion, and a place to tell our grand kids about when they would like to go exploring while staying at the cabin. 

We stopped in Oak Harbor for dinner at 6:00, and got back to the cabin in time to watch the sunset over Deer Lagoon

 and Useless Bay. 








It was a great day!

Thursday morning was bright and sunny. The heron that frequents the piling out in the lagoon loved it. 


But we had obligations at home, so we couldn't stick around long.  We left the heron to his reverie and headed to the ferry. It was a great little trip away from the usual routine. 

14 comments:

  1. You do take advantage of your area and fill your days well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosario Bay is part of one of our usual hikes, so I've been to that area before. It's very beautiful, and you captured it well. I have read the story of the fish maiden but don't remember much of it. I love your sunset pictures, as always. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pleasant to explore nearby places. The new vase is a great addition to your collection and your arrangement fills it well! And now, as Paul Harvey used to say, we know the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The park would be a very good place to take the grand kids who are already climbers. Too bad that all good things have to come to an end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a lovely day of exploring...great vase and looks wonderful with your selection of flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty. I love to look at nature and enjoy it. That Weller pottery is so pretty, I think I have a piece or two of it in my collection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The River walk looked like a great place to walk but I really liked the Deception Pass State Park. Some great shots. And to think it has been there all along. Think the kids will enjoy it also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great day, and your shots of sunset were so beautiful - it makes me want to paint!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You pack a lot in to one day. Your hike looks like a great place but I'm glad you turned back at the hazardous sign!
    I like the pretty vase you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent posts, Linda. The tulip images are magnificent as are the shots of Deception State Park and the sky shots etc etc. Lovely. I do like the Weller vase. I haven't been in an antique or collectible store for ever so long. I had a space in the one in Conway--Ella Bella Vintage Finds but when I closed my corner I never went back.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the names of places up there; Deception Pass, Useless Bay, Deer Lagoon. The picture after the one with the hazardous sign does look a little steep and close to the edge. Good place to turn around. Dan and I rarely go anywhere. Lots of times I say to him, we don't have to travel far, let's just visit some places close by that we have never seen. Anyhow, I sure enjoy your and tom's travels and adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like some great antique shops...and your vase is lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful little vacay. Love that area and now I have to find some time to go out there some day and explore. The piles of drift wood are magnificent and not what we see here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm finally getting caught up on the blogosphere and can't tell you how much I enjoyed your last several posts! Your pictures of the Skagit Valley tulip fields are the best I've found anywhere. We went up yesterday, and it is hard to capture all the beauty of spring tulips in the valley. I also love your hike on the Rosario trails. Earth day post was awesome also.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.