Thursday, June 21, 2018

Here Comes Summer...

....and the livin' is easy. 

Well, I'm mixing my songs, and we have been doing quite a bit of work here at Reeder Gardens, but with the last days of Spring giving us Summer heat, we had to do the work and the walking in the mornings. Now, on the first day of summer, cool, cloudy Marine air has moved in. Sweet relief.

We got up later. We walked our full 3.25 miles. When we got back, we got stuck watching the World Cup game, Argentina vs Croatia. With the white sky, much better for photography, I hurried out at halftime to take photos of our garden as summer begins. 

Now I've got the second half of the game on the TV next to the computer and divided attention. Here's a tour of Reeder Garden on Summer Solstice.

We'll start with the rose garden. 








 The island bed in the lower yard is at it's peak. 













I've spent a lot of time on the patio this week, with long lunches and reading the newspaper and my Kindle. 



 And, of course, eating chocolate!
 The shed is just a shed now, but decorating the outside is still fun. 
 The tomatoes in this hot spot are thriving. 
 The golden hop has covered the gate
 and makes a great backdrop for some of Tom's fancy leaf geranium collection. 




 Tom has been cleaning up dead wood on the cedar tree. It looks great, a magnificent specimen of our Western Red Cedar. 
 The area around the deck is mostly green now. 


 Big leaf plants are fun.
 The game is over. Croatia beat Argentina 3-0, shocking the soccer world. 

My post is done. It's time for lunch and then we'll go outside and find some work to do on this cool afternoon. Finding work isn't hard here. 

Tomorrow we start three days of garden touring and conferences at the Hardy Plant Study Weekend. Eventually there will be photos. In the mean time, I hope summer finds you well and relaxed and comfortable. 

Happy summer!

14 comments:

  1. So much is going on in your garden. It is so lush. I love the pot collections in your garden. The plants in them look so healthy. I bet your greenhouse is FULL over winter. Have a good time on the tour. Take lots of pictures and notes. I want to read and see all about the gardens and your thoughts about them. Happy Summer....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a absolutely beautiful garden

    ReplyDelete
  3. summer begins and it's 106 right now so i'm enjoying the air conditioning and my recliner...napping now and then. walking happens at 6 am when it's cooler like 70 degrees...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say things are in full bloom! Colorful. I appreciate how you use the colors

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd say the Reeder garden is pretty near perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden looks wonderful! You guys need to be careful, soon you will have as many potted plants as Peter and me. I hope I see you both at the Study Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely garden. And you have peonies? I love peonies. They are called botan in Japan - pronounced bow tahn.

    Croatia beat Argentina in a shut out? Hard to believe. I have to watch the highlights now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have the most beautiful garden of all, Linda. I so enjoy visiting it through your pictures, which are wonderful, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden is looking spectacular! Hope you have fun on the study weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your garden always look so immaculate, well ordered and stunning. What ever that white tree is. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so pretty! It must be wonderful to sit out there and enjoy the beauty. I think your garden may be the prettiest of all. Oh, I like your friend Charlie. He is such a pretty kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your gardens are beautiful! Your collection of pots in that corner of the patio seems to get larger every year but this year it is exceptionally pretty! Colors and texture abound in all your gardens:)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.