Saturday, June 2, 2018

Soos Creek Botanical Garden

Located east, across the Kent Valley, from the other gardens, Soos Creek Botanical Garden was created over a 40 year period by a descendant of the original Norwegian settlers on this land. It is 22 acres of stroll gardens and natural areas and is open to the public free of charge. 



A noisy resident of the aviary. 

There are two parts of this garden that I love the most, the pond and the long double borders. 





 The borders rely on shrubs and small trees to carry out the purple and gold theme, accented by perennials flowering throughout the season.  
















 In the wooded area at the bottom of the garden, the Kalmia - Mountain Laurel - are just getting ready to pop open. 
A fir and cedar sharing the same root zone. 



 When Kalmia buds open it's as if they turn inside out, ....

.....like this. 


Walking back up the border on the side path. It's like walking inside the border. 







 And back to the pond.

 A great place for a sit down. 




And then  on to the front of the property to the rose garden. 












 In the fuchsia garden the plants are just emerging from winter shut down, but there are other lovelies there. 

 Like this fringe tree. 
 And clematis. 
And there you have it, the three gardens we visited last Saturday. 

Now it's already Saturday again! We have the kids with us for two nights while Jill is in the mountains.

 We have had a productive week here at Reeder Gardens, and on Sunday Tom and I leave for a little vacation at the Rockaway Beach cabin. No WiFi, so no blogging for a while, but I'll see some of you on Facebook via smart phones.  

So long.

13 comments:

  1. It amazes me how many gardens are in your area. I’m sure there are a lot I don’t know about around here but I’m thinking not as many as your area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soos Creek is a beautiful garden. I love the long borders too. It's been a few years since I was there, but I don't suppose it has changed much. Hope you and Tom have a peaceful getaway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All 3 gardens are just gorgeous! Thank you for sharing your walks through them and your lovely photos! God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another beautiful garden, brought right to my fingertips and eyeballs by you, LInda. Thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like that fringe tree. I have never heard of it before and certainly never seen one either. Have a great little get-away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! Wow! You guys do find the most gorgeous gardens to visit. I’m amazed at how many there are in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such intense greens! Enjoy your cabin stay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gardeners are making good use of leaf color to show off plants as well as flower colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see your blog daily, it is crispy to study.
    Your blog is very useful for me & i like so much...
    Thanks for sharing the good information!
    starbet agent

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful blooms and luscous greens as we head into a 102 degree day...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I wonder how many full time gardeners it takes to keep up! Love that bird nest in the pine:) Have fun in Oregon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Another gorgeous garden. I've yet to visit this one but your post makes me want to visit.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.