Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Some More Work, Then Rest

 We had been planning to go to Whidbey Island just for the day on Wednesday to clean up the cabin garden. Then the weather got hot again. In order to do the work in the cooler morning hours we needed to go up Tuesday and stay overnight. In the morning it takes a long time to get through the Seattle traffic. 

Jan and her friends were staying at the cabin but there was room in the bunk beds. We left home about 7:00 Tuesday evening, and the traffic was light. The rush hour(s) was over.  We caught the 8:30 ferry to Whidbey just as the sun was going down behind the mountains.

  The other ferry on the route

We arrived at the cabin just in time to see a glorious sunset over Deer Lagoon, which is our cabin's back yard 
I watched as the colors intensified before slowly fading. Then I went in turn the TV on downstairs to catch the end of a Sounders game. We won. Then I went upstairs to say hello. While apologizing for my rudeness - Tom had already joined them some time ago - we did agree that I had my priorities. 
 The garden didn't look too bad in the pink glow of the sunset, but I knew we had a big job to do. 

We got started about 9:00, while the garden was in shade and it was still cool. We pulled and trimmed and reduced and spruced up. We accumulated a big pile of yard waste, more than our two bags could hold. We showered and rested a bit then we had to go to Langley to the city hall to get another punch card to allow us to dump yard waste at the recycle site, buy more bags at the hardware store, and then go back to the cabin and load up.
We were all done a little after noon.

The garden looks bare, but there are millions of seeds ready to fill the space with poppies and rose campion and columbine next spring.



We caught the 2:30 ferry this afternoon and s-l-o-w-l-y made our way back through Seattle to get home.

For me at least the heavy work is done for a while. It is going to be hot for the next three or four days and I will be resting. Tom says he has more work to do. There is always more work to do, just not for me right now. It will wait.

I think we might have some shopping to do. Air conditioned cars and air conditioned stores are permissible.  

11 comments:

  1. I am going to stay local for my Thursday hike today, and will start early and finish early. It's going to be hot here, supposed to reach the mid-90s right here in Bellingham! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traffic can be a pain, we went to Cedar City yesterday a one hour trip but the return trip took 2.5 hours as we had to just go bumper to bumper for miles because of an accident. MAkes you want to stay home forever...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice colors of sunset! Good to get the work done in the morning. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very hot and humid here too as you can imagine, being that we are in Hawaii. LOL. But you did a great job over there, so you must be pleased. I also try to get the bulk of my outdoor work done in the early morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that is done and rest is on the schedule. That sunset was wonderful pay for your labors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are hot and humid here. The lawn people were out mowing at 6:15 this morning and I don't blame them a bit but it wasn't even that cool then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although it is hot here in Honolulu, I am finding that it is a rather pleasant summer because most days we have tradewinds and it is actually cool in the evening. An August that isn't bad at all, imo.

    I wonder if a hot Seattle August will mean a mild November there. Maybe I will visit my daughter and her new baby in the beginning of that month. I won't be much help since I don't cook and don't drive up there, but I could bring her local goodies and a touch of Hawaii with me. I don't handle cold weather very well. But we shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got the flowerbeds all tidied up. It's a lot of work. I'm impressed that you felt up to doing the work involved.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love that first picture...and the second and third, oh, I love them all. You and Tom are such wonderful gardners. You keep all your gardens looking beautiful. Get some rest. It is terribly hot and humid here too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sunset is gorgeous over the water. The gardens look terrific too. Glad you've got a chance to rest and recuperate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a glorious sunset! You're so lucky to have a get-away home to go to.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.