Tuesday, August 24, 2021

The Mighty Columbia

 To get to our cabin on the Oregon coast we cross the Columbia river at Longview and then follow it out to the coast at Astoria. Astoria is located at the mouth of the Columbia, where  freighters, in from the sea are met by the bar pilots to get them across the bar and into the river and then river pilots to take them up river to Portland. It’s always a very interesting place to spend a little time. 

(if this is a little wonky it’s because I posted it on my iPhone)



The Astor Column up on the hill.

Old wharf pilings from the fish cannery days.
Incoming ship waiting for the River pilot.
The River pilot station.
Old pilings
Ships waiting either to sail up River or out to sea.

13 comments:

  1. It is amazing to me - the vastness of your shores, land, and sea. Our Hawaiian islands are so tiny and compact. So different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Through the years we visited this area a number of times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s a nice place. We Havre the same here on our river Seine. The pilots go on board of the ships coming from Le Havre estuary of the river to go to Rouen Harbor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to be on the water these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. River pilot sounds like a cool and important job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures, Linda. I am impressed at how good the pictures are and the post, from your phone! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. how fun that's a lovely area, have a fun vacation

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice getaway for you people. I could use a change of scenery right now, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you got beautiful weather and gorgeous scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great post!Like your blog, thank you for sharing.
    luxhairshopcom natural wigs

    These contents have greatly helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello!
    Great post. I really like your blog, it's interesting and inspiring! I will be happy to come to read more entries :)
    I wish you all the best!
    Greetings from Poland!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with DJan! I’m so impressed with what you can do with your iPhone.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.