Sunday, December 19, 2021

Busy Days

 I would have to look at my planning calendar to tell you what we 've been doing everyday - that's where I keep my to-do list - but it's downstairs and I'm upstairs, so I'll try to remember. I have photos. 

One evening when the wind and rain were minimal we went for a drive to look at Christmas lights in residential areas. We found lots of pretty displays, often clustered together, and then large areas with nary a light. This light show was the star of one neighborhood. It's all set to music and they let us know what radio station to turn to in order to bounce along with the lights.



On Friday I know we went to breakfast, then grocery shopping, then drove the hour to Olympia to have lunch with my sister Laurie. We used to have pre-Christmas sibling gatherings, but our brother and his wife moved to Idaho, and we lost our sister Ilene this year and Laurie's husband Arnie two years ago, so it was just the three of us. Getting together is even more important now. After lunch we did a bit of a stroll along the shore of Capitol Lake. 



On Saturday Jill and the grands came for an afternoon of cookie baking. Irene has a part time job on weekends in a florist shop and her boss had her make a bouquet for her grandmother - Me!

First we cut out and baked the gingerbread cookies. 
Then while those were cooling we cut out the lemon sugar cookies and decorated them with sprinkles before baking them. 


Next we detailed the gingerbread. 

Some of them are works of art. I mostly watched and enjoyed. 

Sunday was Lefse and fatigmand day. The kids arrived about 2:00 and we got to work. 
Fatigmand is a Norwegian cardamom flavored fried cookie. I had the dough made and chilled when they arrived. I rolled out the springy dough as thin as I could get it. Then I cut it into strips, then sections with a slit in each. 

Then Irene, with her nimble fingers, tied the knots.

Isaac fried them.

Tom dredged them in powdered sugar.


Then it was time for lefse. I accidently made the mashed potatoes too wet when I made them the day before. They have to be thoroughly chilled and then you add flour until the dough is firm enough to handle and roll out. I should have added more flour, which I finally did later, after struggling with very soft dough. Lots of flour was involved to prevent sticking. 
Irene cooked them on the lefse griddle. 

Isaac added moral support while he watched football on the kitchen TV. Tom was vital in the clean up. And we all enjoyed a sample of warm lefse with melted butter and cinnamon sugar. 

Now I'm through with baking for a couple of days, until it's time to make the Christmas cardamom bread. The turkey starts thawing Monday. There will be check lists this week. 


 


11 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! My post tomorrow is about neighborhood lights too. What a coincidence. You do have the most gorgeous grandkids. And gracious! So grown up. You have such wonderful, delicious traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always nice to see your grandchildren. They have really matured. Looks like you all had a good time making Christmas cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What happened to your little grands? My have they grown and matured. What a wonderful legacy you are leaving them with learning and preparing the wonderful Christmas treats. They always look so intent on doing a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What sweet grandchildren you have. It is so sweet how they still get involved in the cookie making at Christmas time. Boy, they grew up fast. Always love seeing your family together. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great family tradition to get together on a Christmas bake. Lefse! We don't make lefse around here but many ,many years ago one of my students brought me some lefse. It was one of those one on one times with a student that is so valuable. He and his Grandpa had made lefse so the kid told me how it was made while we ate it. I liked it and have never forgotten it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Christmas bouquet is lovely - Irene has a good eye. I'm sure she learned some of that from your floral arrangements.

    Your Christmas baking with the grands is a wonderful tradition. Having fun and making memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jill's floral arrangement that she made especially for you looks very professional. Good for her. And all the cookies that were made look wonderful too. Lots of family fun around the Reeder household. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 16 year old granddaughter Irene did the arrangement.

      Delete
  8. Those decorated cookies look too good to eat! A lot of work, but now you have so many hands to help you. Those kids are now young adults! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a wonderful family tradition, and delicious! Your floral arrangement is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh it all look so good! How wonderful that your Grands help you bake and decorate!:0

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.