Thursday, January 6, 2022

Medical Update

 

This photo has nothing to do with the content of this post. I just needed a pretty picture. 

When things start to go wrong with you physically, you learn a lot of new stuff. Because my aortic heart valve has calcified and is not functioning properly, I need to have it fixed. In preparation for that procedure there are others that need to be done. Yesterday I was introduced to angiograms. 

A catheter, a long skinny tube, is inserted through the radial (wrist) artery into the heart. A dye is injected which highlights all of the coronary arteries. X-rays read the images which are projected onto a large monitor.  

While I was given a mild sedative, I didn't notice it, and was able part of the time to view the monitor. My cardiologist studied the images to detect any blockages or conditions that might affect the valve replacement procedure. She did show me the beginnings of a blockage in one coronary artery, which will have to be monitored. I am going to have to pay more attention to my cholesterol intake. But we will proceed to the valve replacement.  My team met yesterday and I should have more information by tomorrow.

I spent 6.5 hours in the hospital, in the Short Stay ward, where I spent quite a bit of time waiting while others were taking care of more urgent cases. When it was finally my turn the procedure went well and fairly quickly. Then I was back in my bed to wait two hours for the pressure band on my wrist to do its job and keep me from bleeding through the hole in my artery.


Every 15 minutes my nurse would use a little reverse pump to let some of the air out of the band.

In the meantime I got to eat! and drink! It had been about 13 hours since my last food, and 9 hours since my last drink of water. 

While being in the hospital is never fun, I did my best to interact with the staff that was giving me care and we shared laughs and smiles and thanks. My nurse Holly was sweet and kind and lovely. The guy who wheeled me through the halls and into elevators, sorry I can't remember his name, was just plain fun. He asked about my life and told me something about his. It was great. The busy staff in the catherization surgical room were warm and friendly.

I was drained by the time I got home about 8:00, but happy that all went well. 

I have to be careful with my wrist for a few days. No PT pushups or planks for a while, and no dish washing. Oh darn. I have to keep my wrist out of water and keep weight off it it for a while. I'll handle that.

If this is more information than you needed, or you have already had this experience, forgive me for being long writed. Is that a word? Long winded doesn't fit when you are typing. :-)

Update to the update: I just heard from my team that I am a go for TAVR valve replacement, but it probably won't happen until the end of January or a couple of weeks into February. They will keep me updated. 

18 comments:

  1. Oh Linda, thank you for the walk through of that whole situation. I'm sure I will be facing something similar soon, and it's good to know what is going to happen. Attitude is everything, and you are facing it well. Good luck on the next step. Use this down time as a reason to let someone else do all the kitchen stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your day went well, even if it was long. I think what I'd want most at that point would be something to drink...even ice chips! I hope your next surgery is scheduled soon.

    Oh darn, no dishes. That's a chore I'd like to get out of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A day spent having tests and just plain waiting around in the hospital is no fun but good that it's done. Now just have to wait for your surgery. Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother had several heart caths, which they did through her femoral artery. I was very glad to hear that yours went so well, and that you are all set for a TAVR replacement. Hopefully covid will have settled down by then. I'm really sorry to hear you can't wash dishes right now, what a bummer. Not! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly were part of the team in this case. I hope all goes well for you. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad your short stay adventure went well. It's nicer when they can go through an arm vessel instead of the groin. If groin is used, we'd put this big clear plastic pressure type of vise grip on that groin spot and check it every 15 minutes. Your arm one looks more tolerable. I'm sure you were a delight to the staff, and they LOVE to take care of people who got vaxxed! Read those discharge instructions again. Surely there's other chores you're dismissed from for a while. (Old cardiac nurse, Linda in Kansas)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad your procedure went well and you had such fun nurses. I've had the groin heart cath so I still had to do dishes:) Glad they are able to schedule your TAVR. You are in good hands.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That procedure did not sound pleasant but I am glad that it went well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brave girl. I have heard of this operation, but did not know what it involved, and it was nice of you to remove the mystery of medicine for those of us who may have to do this in the future. You are a good patient as you are patient!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you ever heard of natto? It is soybeans that have been fermented and they smell and are slimy. Yuck. I don't eat natto but I do take denatured and encapsulated natto - called nattokinese. It clears blockages in veins and arteries. I don't always take it but when I feel a headache coming on which I feel could be due to blockage, I take a capsule of nattokinese to clear it.
    We are all wishing you great health so we can enjoy all that you share on your blog for many good years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh you must have been drained when you got home! That was a long procedure. Glad it went well. It sure helps when the staff is nice and friendly. Of course, it is easy to be nice to someone as nice as you. Wishing you the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Before I forget, your header photo blew me away.
    Linda, oh my gosh! Wow! I'm glad the procedure went well and you were certainly a good patient. You're the sort of person that medical personnel would appreciate and love because they have so much to deal with now. I'll be looking forward to hearing the good news when the surgery is over.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband had that same procedure, he said the wrist is better than the groin although they prepped him for both. Good to hear that you will have the procedure soon, and I bet Tom is a good dish washer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such fun, right? Glad your procedure went well, and wishing you an uneventful recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I often read your blog and enjoy your pictures and your writings. I, too, recently had an angiogram and though the actual process went well while under a mild dose of fentanyl, my recovery didn't. Like you I had a TR band placed on my wrist but approximately 90 minutes following the procedure I started hemorrhaging. It took four nurses (taking 20 min turns) putting pressure on my wrist to get the bleeding under control. My entire right arm was swollen and black & blue. Two doctors from Plastic Surgery sat with me through the night as they believed that I have to undergo surgery to seal the artery. By early morning all was under control but I became an anomaly in the ward for the cardiac doctors and the nursing staff who had only seen this happen once before, a few years ago. BTW - I have antiphospholipid blood disease and had suffered a mild heart attack (due to a blood clot) a few days earlier. Thankfully nothing unusual or abnormal was found for further intervention (for now) but it did take four weeks for the swelling and discoloration to disappear. I was and am very grateful to the cardiologists and nursing staff at Foothill Hospital, here in Calgary, AB for their care and attention.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You’ve been through it lately. I’m glad this is behind you. When I had this done, it was through the groin. The wrist seems painful to me. Heal well.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.