Tuesday, April 5, 2022

April Showers

Our "April Showers" over the last 24 hours were more like April squalls. One storm cell after another lined up over the Pacific and lashed us with wind and rain, and some hail, interspersed with completely blue sky. And cold! 45 degrees in full sunshine. It's still chilly and breezy at noon here on Tuesday, but it's calmer, drier, and it has made it up to 50. That's typical crazy weather here for April. Our April showers bring April flowers, when the wind and rain don't tear them apart. 

Since things had calmed down outside I went out to get a spring update.

So much green now, and Anemone Blanda
The red trillium will be blooming soon.
Our native white trillium are sometimes know as Wake Robin and are heralders of Spring. 

Tom's three May Apples spent the winter under cover and have now pushed up up full height. 

This variety is setting it's "Apples". 


Our Forsythia has been glorious. Like daffodils, I hate to see them go. 
The leaves are breaking bud on the red Japanese maple. 
Camellias are wonderful. I wish they lasted longer as cut flowers but we enjoy them while we can. 
Mom's camelia, which I introduced you to earlier. 
The Full Moon Maple outside my upstairs window, is so fun to watch change day by day. 

Lamium makes a pretty spring groundcover. 

Tom has been out doing storm clean up. We have a lot of branches down, but no real damage.


I'll help do some more clean up tomorrow. Then I have to try out my new string trimmer. I am hoping to master the trick of edging with it so I don't have to scissor and crawl anymore. There has to be some jobs I can still do. 

Tomorrow we are also going to a Sounders game at the stadium. I probably don't have any business being there, but with Tom's help, I'll manage. When we bought our season tickets last summer, I was still much more mobile. I hope to find out more about my condition when I finally see the neurologist on Friday. 

Charlie Mewdini says "Hi".



13 comments:

  1. wow green-ness. Our red bud tree is blooming-finally some color in our yard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've has some high winds to take down branches of that size. I hope you get a good report on your health and that you're free to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlie is a really handsome kitty! Thanks for the after-storm tour. Those are pretty big branches that came down! I'd love to have a few of those plants in Kansas: the apple and little purple ground cover for sure. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't realize your April showers were so violent. We had a real boomer last night with hail and all. Had to Google your may apples and realize they are generally toxic but that deer will eat them during their brief nontoxic period. Interesting.
    Always good to see Charlie is still a regular visitor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weather sounds nasty but at least it isn't snow. The spring flowers are just so lovely. And Charlie is a handsome cat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful gardens, as usual. I hope going to the game will be good for your spirits -- enough to quiet a cranky body.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to see your gardens and the Trillium, we still have at least six weeks before Trillium. Good to see Charlie too! Doctors always have to run lots of tests, but I do hope he has some answers for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you got to go to the Sounders game and you managed well.
    Your garden doesn't seem to have suffered too much from winter kill. All looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some of those you have blooming are not even pushing their heads above the ground in my yard!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a VERY nice piece of landscaping.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.