Sunday, November 27, 2022

Messy, and Moving On

 It's that time of the year when you can clean it up but it doesn't stay that way. A wind and rain storm overnight can undo your leaf blowing and mower mulching.

The mulched leaves will be deposited on this bed.
The next layer is forming. It might have to wait until after some snow we might get this week. 



This morning I made fruitcake.

It was out of the oven and cooling before I moved on to my next task. The fruitcake will be wrapped in brandy soaked cheesecloth, then wrapped in plastic bags to age. 

Then Irene arrived to make her wreath. They got back home from Colorado Saturday afternoon and already have their Christmas tree up and decorated. 

After a few instructions she was off and running. She has never made a wreath before, but she is artistic, knows what she likes, and is quite skilled in designing. 
Selecting materials for size, color, and texture. 
When the garage door got left open, Charlie came bounding in. We hadn't seen him for a long time and I was so happy to have him visit. He loved the attention.
The greens finished, Irene added cones and a bow. 

And there it is, all natural except for a simple bow, and a beautiful job well done. Irene is definitely my star wreath pupil. 

We just watched the Seahawks lose a close one in overtime. Now I'll hit publish, and move on to finish my fruitcake and start some leftovers dinner. 

Tomorrow we clean house and empty shelves. Decorating for Christmas will start soon. 

15 comments:

  1. Yup! She's a chip off the ol' block. That's a beautiful wreath. You have the most beautiful mulch around. Art loves fruitcake. I haven't been able to find candied fruit though. Will keep looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been there with yardwork and winds. Clean it up and the wind blows more leave. Usually it's my neighbors leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a pretty wreath, and I'm sure the cat helped! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wondered where Irene was in the last group shots and glad she got her creative time in and solo. Pretty sure that was the best one. She is quite good. Charlie does look like he was enjoying the attention. That fruit cake looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a beautiful and elegant wreath. I love it, and I also recognize a true artist in Irene.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful wreath, and so wonderful to have crafty grandma to show her how! Quality time and quality instruction! I love leaves - best much ever even though they don't all come down at once to make the job easier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely wreath!
    I'm the only family member who actually enjoys fruitcake so I don't make it. But there is nothing better than an aged piece of fruitcake in January. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice wreath that Irene made! The fruitcake looks good. I am not real fond of it myself I know some people really like it and it is expensive to make.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your fruit cakes look very tasty!! Irene's wreath looks great especially since it was the first one she ever made.
    We had snow and freezing rain last night. Now the sun is shining and the snow is melting. More is in the forecast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like Irene’s wreath very nice and natural. I hope one day I could make one with my grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Didn't even recognize your house in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are definitely on an upswing. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your place looks great even when it is messy. And your granddaughter is marvelous!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.