Saturday, December 31, 2022

Another New Year

 

They go fast, now, those new years. Does that have something to do with being old? 

I went out walking in the yard yesterday and today, looking for things in bloom. After those very cold nights a week or so ago, there isn't much. I'll scatter yard photos here and there among my texts. 



We are not planning to do much celebrating on New Year's Eve. We will stay up and watch the fireworks on tv on the Space Needle at midnight. 

Christmas is winding down. Tomorrow, New Years Day, we'll slowly begin the process of undecorating. What was left of the turkey went into the stock pot yesterday. There will be turkey soup for a couple of days.


Today I made banana cranberry muffins because I had some over ripe bananas. They have gone into the freezer. We have lots of candy and fruitcake and cookies still hanging around. 


I have been getting back on the stationary bike in the garage now that the work of Christmas is done. We'll take it slow on the undecorating. I have pounds to lose and mobility to maintain.

I have a date now for my hip replacement surgery, March 10. That's later than I wanted, but at least I am finally scheduled. I have dates for the pre-op and two post-op appointments also. 


I am beginning to fill in my new planning calendar.  We keep everything on our phone calendars, but I like to have a weekly planner right on the corner of my kitchen counter, where I can keep track of everything, including jobs to do that week. 

We have the dates for the Sounders Soccer games this season. I won't be going. I have had to give it up because it's just hard to do now, and with one and maybe two surgeries this season, I will be staying home and watching on TV. Jill and I both had two season tickets. We have reduced that to two and Jill and Tom will be going. It makes me sad, but change happens. 

As I look ahead to 2023, I don't see much changing for Tom and me. Tom will keep busy doing all of the yard chores. In fact he mowed the lawn today, Dec, 31st, not because it needed mowing, but to vacuum up all of the fir cones and small debris from the last wind storm. I used to rake that all up. It's looking tidy again. 




I send you best wishes for a Happy New Year, with enough good things to keep us in balance, to find our joy, keep our sense of humor, and cultivate kindness. 

On to 2023! 






13 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Linda! Is that a Hart's Tongue Fern?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your turkey soup looks delicious!

    Happy New Year! I hope 2023 will be a great year for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to a New Year and following an interesting blog. Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your second photo needs to have the long leaves "ironed." Hang in there with your hip recovery and rehab. You'll be back kicking the ball at the soccer games next season. Your yard looks lovely. Have a Good New Year! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year to you and Tom. I’m sure you’ll recover quickly after you’re hip surgery and you’ll be able to work with Tom in your beautiful garden again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year to you and yours. All the best in 2023.
    Your gardens and yard look lovely in all seasons. All the effort put into it pays off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year! Your gardens look good even in Winter! I caught up with your posts about Christmas, that sweater Irene was wearing is beautiful! Good to hear you have a date for surgery:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad to hear that your surgery is finally scheduled. I have slowed down so much, too, but I am grateful that I can still walk and hike. I truly hope that the hip will allow you to rejoin much of your old activities once again. Sending you and Tom my very best wishes for a wonderful 2023!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your yard looks very neat and tidy. Sorry you won't be able to actually attend the soccer games that you so enjoy.
    Happy New Year to you and Tom!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best wishes for a healthy and productive 2023!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your yard looks very pretty. Glad you got your ssurgery scheduled. The way time flies, it will over before you know it. Your turkey soup and those muffins look delicious. I love the picture of your dining room in your last post. It's just beautful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year, Linda and Tom! Yes, time seems to be speeding up. I'm always amazed at all the both of you do. Take care and have a fabulous year ahead.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.