Thursday, April 6, 2023

Garden or Yard

 I read recently about whether you should refer to the property around your house as a garden or a yard. The person writing was obviously a gardener, because she said if you plant anything, or tend anything, it's a garden. "Prisons have yards, people have gardens."

OK, then, I found my gardener tending our garden.

Tom was pruning and grooming in the front yard. The blue Chionodoxa along the steps are blooming along with primroses, Tete-a-Tete daffodils, and hellebore.   
I can see this little garden from inside and I love it. I can also see this clump of trillium that have just opened. 
Later I found the gardener in the back mowing the lawn. I love the bright green. 

The primroses, all overwintered and planted over the years, are spectacular this year.

 The forsythia lights up the bottom of the garden.

These photos were taken yesterday when it was partly sunny.  This  morning it was raining lightly as I came back from walking out to the street to get the newspaper. Rounding the corner of the garage, I was struck by the beauty of our early spring garden.

We have some feathered friends that like it here too. Each year we have a pair of crows that return to look for bugs in the lawn, drink from the bird bath, and nest somewhere nearby. Also the pair of Bewick's wrens have returned and are checking out which nesting accommodations to use. They are old friends too. 

As for me, my progress is slow but steady. I had my hematoma drained last Friday. My surgeon advised as the PA did the poking and palpitating. Some old blood liquids were removed. The rest will have to dissipate over time, which is happening. I look forward to the lumps being gone so I can return to my bed and sleep on that side. 
 
I got a little to rambunctious in the kitchen, walking without my stick, and caused some strained muscles in my surgical thigh, so now I am trying to behave myself and let that settle down. 

Meanwhile Jill and I have been making plans for Easter dinner and Jake's birthday celebration. I get to bake the birthday pie and contribute the pretty table decorations. Of course I will also be bringing "baskets full of Easter joy" for everyone.

Spring is lovely here, even if it is still too cold. 
Happy Easter Weekend to you all!

8 comments:

  1. I would like to think I have a garden, but right now it is a weed filled yard. I take it one little step at a time - doing about a 3 foot square and pulling out weeds by hand. Looking forward to your wonderful family Easter pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Spring flowers are so pretty. I wish my Primroses would grow and flourish after the first year but they don't.
    I can imagine you getting too rambunctious in the kitchen....it's hard to keep from overdoing it but I suppose you're better off restraining yourself.Have a lovely Easter feast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the first trillium I have seen this year! We don't even have the first signs in the woods yet. Happy Easter to you and the while family, Linda! Glad you are no overdoing it too much or too often. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well your property is certainly a garden! And it's beautiful at all seasons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great Easter weekend. I'm impressed with all the blooms you have at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Easter! Your lawn looks so pretty and the flowers so cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Easter and Happy Birthday to Jake!
    Your garden is very nice and Tom is working hard! The bonsaïs are not out yet? Here it is freezing again and the magnolia flowers did not last long. I hope your health will improve soon and that you will be able to sleep on your bed soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Easter to all, and Happy Birthday to Jake!
    Your gardens are beautiful and so well maintained. It makes me smile every time you share photos of the blooms.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.