Thursday, October 12, 2023

Rainy Week

 We certainly did slow down this week, but not completely. 

I did six miles on my stationary bike Tuesday and today. On Wednesday we got a mile walk in about 4:00, when the storm clouds piled up over the mountains and gave us a clearing here in the city.

Tom spent time in his greenhouse, culling out geranium cuttings that didn't take and making cutting of other things.

Todays afternoon sunshine gave us a welcome change with light and shadows. 

Jake came by yesterday afternoon to drop of his houseplants to store in the greenhouse for the winter. We had a good visit.

Our tulip bulb order arrived yesterday from the Skagit Valley. Now we'll need a weather window to get them planted. 

Some plants are enjoying the cool wet weather, like hardy cyclamen and hardy fuchsias, 









I have been spending quite a bit of time reading editorials and becoming informed on the Israeli / Palestinian conflict. I know about the brutality but that is not what I linger on. It's the causes of that inhumanity I am trying to understand. No matter how you may want to choose sides, it's the innocents that will suffer the most. Nothing excuses terrorism, or merciless retribution either.

Be kind to yourselves and others. Give hugs. Go pick out a pumpkin. :-) Find joy. 

10 comments:

  1. You still find lots of color with fall blooms. Send some rain here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our bulbs will be planted this Saturday. It is cool and rainy here but Autumn time.
    I agree with you too much brutality in that world! It is very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are having a nice interlude from the rain, which returns again tomorrow, just in time for the solar eclipse. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It amazes me how much of your garden you're able to propogate each year. The greenhouse is amazing!
    The situation in Israel/Palestine is horrifying on so many levels. I understand the events of this past week are the result of many, many years of conflict. But in this day and age, we see the results almost immediately on our televisions and devices. For us, we can turn those items off, but the residents of these areas it is their daily reality. I can only hope that some peace can be brokered and soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to see the inside of your greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geraniums here grow outside all year long. Cyclamens are so fussy and grown indoors for as long as they can last - usually only a few months at best. The opposite of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad to find your post after a year of awful health issues caused by an error made during a gall bladder op. We are all only able to live as we can and the sadness all around is terrible but we are so far away. We can only try to be there for our local friends. Hopefully all will pass soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful to hear from you! I am so sorry about all of your health troubles. I hope things are much better now. Poor health is a burden. for sure.

      Delete
  8. Loved seeing the inside of the greenhouse. I finally have power in mine, and got some great ideas from looking at yours! Nice fall flowers! Always there is joy in growing things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tom has been busy in the greenhouse! I am thankful for everyday:)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.