Tuesday, October 24, 2023

The Seattle Japanese Garden

 The Seattle Japanese Garden is an authentic Japanese style garden opened in 1960. It is 3.5 acres of beauty nestled in a ravine, surrounded by woodland and adjacent to the Washington Park Arboretum. Just south of the University of Washington campus, it is a city gem. 

Our garden group had an outing there on Saturday. I wasn't sure if I could handle it, but I was so glad I tried. It was in its autumn glory. 

If you are local you should try to go there in the next week or two. If not, here your go, with the whole tour. :-)


Our group studying the structure of an old maple. One of our members acted as a docent  and gave us a guided tour. Because of my poor hearing and difficulty standing in one place, I was usually in the background or wandering off to take pictures. 


Leaves are just beginning to fall here.





Footing was a bit tricky in some parts. I relied on Tom for assistance, but it was so worth the effort. 










The tea house, where tea ceremonies are held regularly. 

I was sitting here taking a break when a lady approached me exclaiming how beautiful it was and that I should let her take my picture. I was holding my phone, so I let her. She was right, about the background any way. 




Japanese gardens are always centered with a pond.











The trunk on this old wisteria is huge. 
In spring all these azaleas are in bloom. 





Our group pausing under a Gingko tree going gold. 






I hope you enjoyed the tour. 

14 comments:

  1. Oh, I loved this tour! Some of your pictures took my breath away, it's so beautiful in that garden. And that is a good picture of you, too. Thank you for sharing this garden with me, I feel quite blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an awesome place to visit. I like the red that's spread around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First I love your new header! Then I love Japanese gardens especially in Autumn I went twice in Japan for Fall and visited many gardens. You are lucky to have one near where you live!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what an incredible garden to visit. I envy the growing weather you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the tour! Such pretty color!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO beautiful! I would just want to sit and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely AWESOME! Thank you for taking us on your walk. That stone lantern in your 5th photo is the exact same one we have in our front garden. That is so cool! I love all the colors, especially since we missed the peak in Illinois. It's nice to be back in Hawaii, BUT it's too hot right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for walking on the tour for us. Your photo with the trees in the background is lovely! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just beautiful, I love that place. I don't know if you are aware or perhaps have already been there, but if not the next time you are in Seattle give Kubota Gardens a try. It is in the Rainier Beach neighborhood in South Seattle.
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=kubota+gardens+seattle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, Kubota Garden is one of our favorite places too. We have gone just about every year for quite a few years. I hope to be mobile enough to do it again another year.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for the beautiful photos. I'm a Seattle born transplant to E WA and I had forgotten how lovely those gardens are. Made me homesick.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Omigosh - so beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The fall colors everywhere this year are beautiful. Great job of capturing the varied fall colors. Beautiful garden, and you're looking great!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.