Monday, December 25, 2023

Christmas 2023

 

It was a good Christmas at the Reeder Homestead on Christmas Eve and at Jill's home for Christmas Day. 

Jan sampled the "snacks' in the afternoon. All of this food just appeared when Jan and the "kids" arrived.
Irene and I and sometimes others watched "Christmas on Sesame Street", our favorite since the grands were little, and even before that, when the "kids" were young. 
Jan caught up on our Christmas cards and letters. 
Jake and Isaac built LEGO race cars that Isaac brought. 
Jill did some chillin'

while Tom did some grillin'.
The table was set for our Christmas Eve candlelight dinner. 
Cooking was a group effort. I held it together and coped with the noise and business, giving over control of much, as my family created our Christmas feast. And then we ate, and ate, and talked, and shared and just enjoyed each other's company. 

Eventually it was time for clean up, and that was a group effort too. After I helped store the leftovers, I just sat and watched and listened. 

I don't know if everything got put where I usually put it, but it was close, and it doesn't matter. I am learning to let go. It's not always easy, but it is wonderful to be able to. 





With all of the clean up done, Jake and Isaac finished their LEGO projects. 



The rest of us enjoyed old favorites, "A Charlie Brown Christmas" and "How The Grinch  Stole Christmas".
And we almost forgot to eat cookies! But we did manage. 
The offspring departed about 9:00 and Jan and Tom and I settled down to some quiet visiting before bedtime.

Christmas morning we gathered at Jill's house to open stockings, eat a wonderful breakfast, and then spend a long time slowly opening gifts we had given each other. It was lovely. 



The kitties were pretty cute too. 



There was a lot more eating. Jill and Jan prepared some wonderful food. Jill in into charcuterie, and does it up well. We never got to the turkey left overs we had brought along, so we divided then up before we headed home. 

Now I have made it through the photos and the editing and the narrative and am ready to sign off.

And I think we might even be ready to consider eating a bit more. But just a little bit.

It was another great Christmas. We are all feeling very fortunate. 


10 comments:

  1. What a great Christmas you had with family and food. I sure enjoyed it as I looked on through your pictures. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely Christmas holiday! It's always much better, and often quicker when the work is shared. You may find it hard to let go, but you've taught your children and grandchildren great lessons. They're obviously very capable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a wonderful time with your family when all are involved in the Christmas activities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful. Have a relaxing Boxing Day now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely family memories! So nice when the next in line generation takes over the hosting. You taught them well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your family picture and I think you enjoyed the day! I have never cooked a turkey on a barbecue but it must taste good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas! So thankful that family pitches in to help and you should let them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you had a wonderful Christmas. I'm so happy that I can once again comment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always have the most wonderful Christmas celebrations with your beautiful family, Linda. Hauoli Makahiki Hou, to you and your family. That's Happy New Year in Hawaiian.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.