Sunday, December 17, 2023

Christmas Cookie Fest, 2023

 My whole family was here: my two "kids", Jill and Jake, and my two grandkids, Isaac and Irene, and this year for the first time, a girlfriend. Isaac's friend Shayla is very sweet, and participated as if she was a regular. Maybe she will be.

Grandma and Grandpa are getting older, and my kids are recognizing that, so they really stepped up to help. I actually got to sit and watch, and listen, much of the time.

During the baking, Jake was the keeper of the oven timing. He said his oven mitt needed eyes. Yes, there was silliness. 
Sugar cookies are decorated with sprinkles. Precision sprinkling. 
Tom tried a few. Irene spent a lot of time on her phone. Just home from college, she had a lot of catching up to do with her high school friends. 


Jill is great at running the show, and I am happy to let her do it now. 

There was some discussion about how could we make a Swedish design without yellow, and what did the Norway flag look like. Heritage, don't ya know. 

Before the sugar cookies were made, we had cut out and baked the gingerbread. Now it was time to decorate them with royal icing. 


I did a few until Jake was ready to take my place.










They started about 11:00 and worked through lunch time but I got by with feeding them popcorn and apple slices. They helped with the clean up.

It was a very successful Cookie Fest 2023. I was very happy to host it once again. Doing this at Grandma's house is still an essential. 

We'll keep it up as long as we can. 

12 comments:

  1. They look like very studious decorators! Glad everyone helped you out. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree... do it as long as you can. If the kids want to come home, I may not be able to do it all as in the past, but with help, it can be doable. Cookies and Gingerbread look great! And great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I say this every year but what wonderful memories you are making with your "kids" and grandchildren. I'm sure one day at least a couple of them will carrying on the same tradition with their own offspring.
    The cookies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such great looking cookies, cram full of love and memories. Thanks for including a picture that includes you, LInda! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. lots of creativity with these designs. It's a tradition that I hope they keep up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post was so bittersweet -- how the thread of family tradition remains through the inevitable changes of aging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Olga. I always appreciate how much you get me. Yes, bittersweet.

      Delete
  7. Very sweet and special - having this family tradition. It will probably be passed down for generations and you will be the madre central figure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww... I love how the kids are taking over now and letting you watch and take photos. I wish my kids were here to do that too. Sigh... This is such a fabulous tradition. I'm so amazed to see the grandkids all grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you! The cookies all look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not baking this year I got covid! But I like all the cookies you baked and it’s good to enjoy with family for Xmas.
    I wish you a Merry Christmas !

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.