Saturday, July 13, 2013

A Lovely Day for Sharing Our Garden

Yesterday was chilly and cloudy all day long, so I was especially pleased to awake this morning, too early because my back was being bothersome, to see clear blue sky in the early morning light.

It was a gorgeous day, a high of 78 here in SeaTac, perfect in every way, just what I had ordered for our Open Garden.  After getting set up, and before any guests arrived, I went out with my camera for a lens-eye look.
























I used my vintage flower pots and old berry carrier as serving pieces for snacks for the guests.  Fill a paper cup with your choices: Jelly Bellies, dark chocolate M&M's, dark chocolate covered pomegranate seeds, Spanish peanuts, dried cranberries, shelled pistachios.  Ice water and coffee were also available.

The first to arrive were Corey, who is here for the weekend, and the kids, Isaac and Irene.  Let the action begin.

The kids checked out the flower shop, and Irene approved.  Isaac was ready for business right now!  When customers failed to arrive very quickly, Corey and Isaac left to go golfing, as planned.  Irene worried that no one would come.  I assured her they they would. Irene was nervous because Isaac was supposed to be the cashier, so we did a practice sale, and she was good to go.  Their little cash register does all the math for her. Math is not her strength.
The first guest to arrive was my long ago roommate, Kay.  We have not seen each other for thirty-some years, but we hooked up on Facebook, and I put out the invitation to my Facebook Friends, and she came!  We had lots of time to catch up before others began to arrive.
 Jill checked in and spent time with Irene as she waited for visitors to come to her shop.
 She is officially ready!
 Garden club members began to arrive and came in a steady trickle all day.
 Customers for Irene!
 My friend DeeDee and her daughter helped the cause.

 Tom and I both enjoyed meeting and visiting with our garden guests.  We had a lot of questions about specific plants, how do you do it questions,  watering system inquiries, and lots of questions about our glass flowers.  We shared all of our gardening secrets.
 Aunt Jan and Cousin April shopped for plants.
 We sat on the patio and visited and waited for club members to work their way through the garden.
 These two NPA members were also photographers and bloggers. We shared blog information, and they have already looked me up on line and commented on my last post.  When I get time I'll link them up, and add them to my blog roll.  I think they plan to post pics of our garden.  It will be fun to see it through their lenses.
 We have had Northwest Perennial Alliance Open Gardens before, but this time we were part of a little area tour of four gardens, and with the weather and some contacts we have made visiting other gardens, we had the best turn out ever - 23 members and various other guests.  We had so many lovely compliments it made us feel very good and very pleased to have this place to share.  It makes all the work even more worthwhile.

With everyone gone by about 5:00, I took my camera around to capture a bit more and just soak up the pleasure of this day.















I collected all the signs as I visited the front of the house.



 Irene's Shop is closed.  She sold out of almost everything!  She and Isaac counted the money and collected their profits.  
Before they left, I interviewed Miss Irene:  
Tell me about your shop: "My manager is my brother.  This was our Grand Opening.  Everything went well and we sold a whole bunch of stuff.
What was the best thing?: I had fun!  A lot of people were interested in my great idea!
I want to have another sale. I can't believe that's it for this year."

I think Irene had a day to remember.  I know I did.

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Irene must have had an exciting and wonderful time. The plants are gorgeous, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's wonderful that you share your garden like that, LInda. It's a lot of work, and you and Tom deserve to be appreciated. Not to mention Irene becoming a businesswoman, a successful one at that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun day for you guys! So glad that Irene's shop did well, and I loved all the pictures. How neat that you got to meet new friends and visit with old ones too.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so glad to see your great photos of your shad pavilion, with the dry stream next to it. My own didn't turn out well. I enjoyed meeting you, but Oy! That photo of me and Peter...

    Irene seems really sweet, and I have something in common with her -- math is also not my strong suit.

    I should have asked, but didn't -- what is the large-leafed Hosta next to the tall green pot? I love how the leaf color matches the pot perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!! Everything looked so beautiful and so professional!! Irene did a great job. You did a good job taking photos to help remember the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Linda!

    How perfectly magical and wondrous your garden is. I particularly love the sign espousing chocolate.

    I bet Irene felt very accomplished after she got over her math jitters.

    So sorry I could not actually be there, but feel 'almost as good' through your photos! Butchart has nothing on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So gorgeous! It sounds like the day was a great success. I got a kick out of Isaac, the manager, off playing golf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your gardens are lovely along with the yard art. I do love Carruth and have several pieces. So a good time was had by all. Irene must be busting her bottons. She did so well and had a good time too. MB

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was an incredible amount of work and the results are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, my garden club would have begged to get you garden for viewing during our Music and Blooms tour. We had no gardens that even came close to yours.
    So glad Irene was so successful. What a great activity for a youngster.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what a fabulous, perfect day! I wish I was there too. Your garden looks like it's at the peak of perfection right now. Your photos really document their beauty. Can you hear me sighing from over here?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you had an enjoyable time at your open garden because the tour was sure a great time for all of us who got to attend! Thanks for all of your hard work and hospitality!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Linda, what a wonderful day this must have been for you and for Irene. The idea to get her involved in this way in brilliant. It must have felt so good to share the work of you hands with others. Your garden is simply amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun day for everyone! Especially Irene..so glad she sold lots! So much work goes into gardening. I had huge perennial gardens for years, keeping them weed free is a full time job. Most of them have gone wild now..it is much easier when you live in the boonies:)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.