Tuesday, July 12, 2011

In The garden

July is hedge pruning month.   Along one side of our half acre property we have a holly hedge.  Pruning it is a sticky business.  We have the inside done.  We still have to do the neighbor's side.  It's along their driveway, so we have easy access.  Looks like it might be next week before we finish that.




We also have some free-standing holly pillars, this one with a topiary ball on top.  We have all of this holly because it was free.  When we moved into our newly constructed house on June of 1978, we had more time than money.  As we cleared the brush on the property, we found holly seedlings.  Tom dug them up and planted them along the property boundary.  He kept this up for several years until he had a solid row.  Even at a young stage it served to keep out the neighbor dogs.  Of course now we've created a monster.  We're always glad when the holly pruning is done.
Across the front of the property we have more "free" hedge material, Douglas fir.  After thirty-some years, it is also a monster.  It is the boundary between our front yard and the neighbor's back yard, as there are streets only every two blocks here.
 Today we got this one finished.  Hurray!
But we do have time to just enjoy the garden too.  And of course I pick and arrange fresh flowers for the house all summer long.


Sometimes I just take my camera and sit somewhere and look for interesting compositions.


Or I take a stroll to see what's changing.  The raspberries are finally getting ripe.




















Thanks for the visit.  Come again.

12 comments:

  1. Good exercise for you, but too much work for me...

    On the other hand, just look at your beautiful flowers and hedges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely gardens. Gardening is my hobby too and I really loved the photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you hear me sighing over here? Your flowers are all so exquisite and you have such an artistic eye in everything. That hedge reminds me of The Secret Garden. It's a lot of work, but so worth it. Siiiiighhhhhh...

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful, peaceful gardens-love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pictures brought me right in. I especially like the one with you picking flowers behind your new decorated rooster. Those holly hedges are massive! Thank you for the tour, I really enjoyed myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Again, I find myself so envious. What a wonderful garden. So peaceful and serene. Of course, I'm sure it doesn't seem that way when you are hard at work maintaining it. Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is nice to know that accomplished gardeners such as you and your husband have created monsters. I feel better now. I planted a few of those myself.

    Your flowers are just beautiful. I loved the blue pot and the interesting plants you have planted in it. Is the plant with the green and blue leaves a variety of coleus? I don't think I've ever seen this plant before. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful flowers. I love the hedge too. I am currently in the process of changing our Christmas tree farm into a maze, and your hedge is my vision for my maze.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the flowers are all so beautiful
    I found myself imagining how wonderful it would be to hide in all those hedges :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Extraordinary gardens...you have green thumbs and I am green with envy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your garden is absolutely marvelous, and I love that new header photograph too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking at your garden (including your header) is like Christmas Day to me -- I don't know where to look first! Everything is so beautiful -- from the astilbe to the raspberries and roses. I think your climate is probably more conducive to longer bloom times than ours -- especially this summer that's been so hot.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.