Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day

It was a beautiful day in the valley, a good day for remembering.

My sister Laurie and her husband Arnie traveled from their home in Winlock,WA to join us. Laurie brought flowers from her garden. By 9:45 we were at Adams Cemetery outside of Molalla, Oregon, just in time for the VFW Memorial Service.




We even had a fly over!
My parents are buried here in this beautiful spot overlooking the foothills of the Willamette Valley.
 We tended to their grave and reminisced. 


Then we were off into the foothills to the neighborhood where our mother grew up, and where Laurie and I have four generations of our mother's people.
Great Grandparents
 and great, great, greats down the line.
 I love it up here.
We had lunch in Canby and met up with Arnie's sister Verna, and then we all went to the cemetery in Canby where Laurie and I have our Hofstetter grandparents (our mother's parents) and Arnie and Verna have their parents and other family.



 Grandma and Grandpa.
 So many people have been remembered over this long weekend.
 We had a few extra flowers, so we adopted this soldier.
There was much more to this day, but it was pure selfish pleasure and will be reported in a future post. I will leave this day to the memory of those who have fallen and who have gone on ahead of us.



11 comments:

  1. What a lovely day and thank you for remembering all those who keep us safe and free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been two years since I've decorated graves but I do remember my loved ones. Great you are close enough to get together with family often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It rained here, hard, until later in the afternoon, when it finally cleared up. I went for a walk in the park and thought about all those I've lost. It was a bittersweet day for me. I guess that's just right, now that I think about it. Love your pictures, and think how nice it would be to visit my ancestors' graves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is most important that we continue the memory of family and those who sacrificed for our freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You visited some beautiful old cemeteries:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you could make your visit and it is a lovely place. There are volumes of history in these places.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very fitting use of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are such incredible photos, Linda. They almost sparkle. What a lovely day to remember and appreciate our loved ones already gone and to spend time with those who are with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful post, Linda. Remember when Memorial Day was called Decoration day. MB

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful way to spend the day! Looking forward to hearing about the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the tradition of visiting the places where our family members now gone are buried on Memorial Day. We never made it to the cemetery until today, June 1. It seemed hard for me to go on Memorial Day, and my daughter said she did not wish to go at all. I'm always touched when I see others have left flowers on my daughter's grave, and since she is right next to my father, I also took care of things there. I did't make it over to the graves of so many others: great-grandparents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, even cousins, but they are all out there close by. I like that.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.