Thursday, May 1, 2014

School House Rocks

For the winter we collect much of our "yard art" and store it out of the weather.  We are just now getting it put back out into the garden.  But we won't be moving this decorative little school house. (see in upper left corner of photo)

As we worked at the potting bench this spring we realized the bird house, which was a gift to Tom quite a few years ago now from a kindergarten student, had occupants!  

We never expected any birds to actually nest in it since it is not built to birding specifications.  But I guess they saw it as the perfect lodging sheltered there under the eaves. 

The Bewicks Wren couple were none to pleased with our intrusion into their space. We tried to be careful to stay just as long as we needed to and not be noisy.  


Lately there has been a lot of activity out around the patio, as the tiny birds hop around and carefully and circuitously make their way to the little school house, carrying bugs to their babies.
 And as those tasty morsels are delivered, the school house rocks.
Happy May Day, everyone!  May sunshine fall on your shoulders and your gardens grow and bloom.

11 comments:

  1. What a great surprise! Happy May Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very lucky to have birds living in one of your birdhouses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is better than wonderful! How can it be that it makes me so happy? Fortunate birds, and fortunate blog friends. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spring really is in the air. I love to have birds nesting near the house so I can see the babies take their fledgling flights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting! This is so wonderful. I don't think I've ever seen that bird before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun, you'll be able to watch the little guys grow and fly off. Nice May Day surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love finding a new bird family in one of our birdhouses! They are so interesting to watch and it's so nice to be able to provide them with a safe home. Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very sweet. I wish you the same my friend on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do miss our wrens. The pair that hung close to the house are no longer, because one of them had an accident. I am hoping that a pair of new ones finds our home a place to nest soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how sweet and that certainly is not only a grand house but a safe one also.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet post. don't you just love her long eyebrow. LOL
    Happy Mother's Day! MB

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.