Monday, August 12, 2019

Catching Up

It has been almost two weeks since we took our little trip to Mt Rainier National Park, the subject that has filed all of my recent posts.

But we have been busy here at home since then. Here's a little catch up.

We attended two soccer matches on consecutive weekends, first on a Sunday evening, and then on a Saturday afternoon. 



We worked in the yard every day for at least two hours, cutting back spent perennials, weeding, and filling compost bins. I'll show most of the garden in another post, but here you can see the earlier exuberance has been tamed.
Our neighbors had an abundance of figs, which they shared with us, so as well as eating them fresh every day, I made a tart, or rustic pie (galette). It was yummy.
Oops, that sideways thing again. 

We have been picking produce from our garden. Charlie comes over to help. 
 Zucchini, cucumbers, beans, and tomatoes. 
 Tom harvested mushrooms from the kit he bought at the farmer's market. They are oyster mushrooms. I googled to see how I should cook them. 



However, we were quite disappointed in them. They were chewy and pretty much flavorless. The pasta with browned butter, cream and Parmesan was very good though, anyway. :-)

With blooms aplenty in the garden now, I have picked and arranged many bouquets. They get changed out frequently.




Yesterday we hosted a simple BBQ dinner for Jill's family and her Colorado in-laws. The seven of them have spent a week at Rockaway together, and so we had a chance to visit with the four visitors before they flew home this morning. It was good to see them.

We have spent much of a Saturday and a Sunday on two different weekends touring other gardens with the NPA Open Gardens program. I have lots of photos. I may or may not get around to posting any of them. Instead I'll post a few pretties from my garden, and then give you a bit of a tour of Reeder Gardens in my next post. 



It's Monday, 1:00, and the house work is done, the laundry is almost done, I've completed the exercises that keep my mobile, and it's time for my lunch hour. Life is good here at the Reeder Homestead. 

9 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear those mushrooms were not really tasty. But gosh, your flowers are so beautiful and abundant, just a delight to see. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do keep busy, busy, busy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of all the photos I love the sweet peas the best. My mom grew them in her garden and seeing the container of them brings back som many memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like you are enjoying the dog days of summer-you could open a floral shop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life is very busy at the Reeder homestead. That's what keeps you young. Your garden is still looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I REALLY ENJOYED THE POST OF THIS EXCURSION, Always interesting and then the beautiful scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything in our yard is so spent. Only the last of the phlox and zinnias hanging on. Maybe next year I will be a better gardener.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first time I wanted to make mushroom bacon, oysters mushrooms were recommended. Couldn't find any here so I made Portobello bacon instead. Was quite good. If you have any left, Google mushroom bacon and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to read that you are feeling well and keeping busy. Too bad about the mushrooms. It was an interesting experiment.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.