Thursday, August 15, 2019

From the Mountains to the Sea

Two weeks ago we ran away to the mountains. Yesterday we ran away to the sea.

As you know from my posts, we stay busy here at home, and we do love being home, but after a while I need a change of venue, so I propose a destination. We are fortunate here to have lots of good choices within a day trip's reach. I said. "Let's go to the Long Beach Peninsula!"

We decided we could do it in one day, and when Tom asked if I wanted to go to Cape Disappointment State Park, I said "Yes!". So after a long drive, that's where we landed first. 
 Cape Disappointment was so named by Captain Meares in 1788 when he failed to cross the bar of the Columbia River, the mouth of which is just around that point in the distance. It is a graveyard of many a failed crossing. 
There are two lighthouses, so of course we had to find them. 
 The North Head Light is still operational because with heavy shipping traffic into the Columbia River, it is needed to prevent any more occupants of "The Graveyard of the Pacific". 
 The lighthouse was closed for repairs. The light is automated now, of course, so there is no need for the Keepers Residences. They can be rented for vacation stays. 
 The store had a good little gift shop. 
 Then we were off to find the second lighthouse. Not having really prepared for this trip we were sort of stumbling in finding out way around. We found the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center, from which there are great views, including the Cape Disappointment Light. Lewis and Clark arrived here in 1805.
 The north jetty.
 Cape Disappointment Lighthouse.
 So how do we get there? It doesn't look very far, and there is a trail. Let's go. 
 Sorry about the sideways. :-/  This map shows the mouth of the Columbia before any jetties were built. The channel and the sandbars constantly shifted. 
Jetties 
 Jetties were constructed to create a predictable navigable channel. 
 Because of the strategic location of Cape Disappointment, forts have been built here, first in 1862 during the Civil War, expanded in 1875 and renamed Fort Canby, and then expanded again as part of a three fort security for WWII. The Interpretive Center is built on one of the gun installations. 
 We set off on our hike through the Spruce forest. 
 Oh, good! More BIG trees, Spruce this time. 
 The Coast Guard station out on the river mouth. 

 Uff da. This turned out to be a much longer and harder hike than we thought. Up and down and some rough footing, and me without my walking stick. 


 And finally we arrived. I had to sit down and let the ocean breeze dry my sweat. 
 From here we could look back to the Lewis and Clark Center. 
 And there were eagles!

 I take eagle sightings as a good luck sign. That meant I would be able to make it back and not have to enlist the Coast Guard to rescue me. 
 Looking inland to the mouth of the Columbia River.

 Pelicans and the south jetty in the distance. 

 The Coast Guard mans this communications station full time.
 Somewhat rested, we began the trek back to the parking lot. 



 Those eagles were good luck, because the trip back to the parking lot was much shorter. Who knew? It was well past lunch time but I had packed a light lunch: apples, almonds, granola bars, and water. We had folding chairs in the trunk, so we sat at the edge of the parking lot and had a picnic. 

Then we moved on, out of the park and up the Long Beach Peninsula to the city of Long Beach, famous for it's "Longest  beach in the world". You just drive right out onto it. 





 We parked, strolled a bit, and then drove back to an ice cream place we had spotted on the way in. We rewarded ourselves with yummy treats. We both had Hazelnut Salted Caramel. Tom had two scoops. I had one, but it was a hot fudge sundae. :-)
More to come. 

8 comments:

  1. What a great time. It sounds like you could or should spend a couple more days in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that sounds like a great place to visit, not a disappointment at all. I'm glad you made it back and didn't have to call for help from the coast guard. You definitely deserved that sundae!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful views. Well, spectacular, really. How fortunate you are to live in proximity to all the different types of places and to have the ability to slip away now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible views! The beach is lovely but I like the woods the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I envy the fact that you can go from mountains to beach in a day. I love my Ozarks but really miss the beach. Glad you explained Cape Disappointment's name. You did way better than I could have with all the treks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love lighthouses and would have been right there along with you. And that ice cream? Makes my mouth water, Linda. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So lucky to live in such a beautiful area. And of course there must always be ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely informative post! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.