Monday, August 19, 2019

Saturday Farmer's Market

Needing a morning place to walk, since the Sounders would be playing an away match on TV in the evening, we decided on the Des Moines Marina, where a Saturday Farmer's Market is held, and the adjacent Des Moines Creek Park and trail. 

Just to clarify for those of you who might be confused, this Des Moines is a small city on the Sound south of Seattle. It's a 15 minute drive from our house. 

The market was busy, buzzing with activity and conversation. 

 Summer fruits are in from eastern Washington. It's corn-on-the-cob time. I bought two ears. 

 There were quite a few different craft booths. 

 Now this was fascinating. Oil based paints were arranged in a design on a tray of water. Silk was placed on the surface.

 The result was a beautifully colored silk scarf - once it dries, of course. 
 I didn't try it, but it did look like fun. 
 Business was good in the fruit and vegetable stalls. 

 Here we go, the perfect plants for those who forget to water, or who love to hug their cacti. 
 Not all tomatoes are red. 

 Of course there were flower vendors. 



 Honey and bees wax candles. 
 Cherry tomato assortments. 
We met some retired teacher friends and stopped to talk for a while. We were temped at a bakery stall and bought some goodies. Then since we were right on the marina parking lot, we walked out on the fishing pier. 


 One lucky fisherman at the end of the pier scored a beautiful salmon. 
 This little Asian lady was after smaller catch.

From there we walked over to the park, but there was a very lavish wedding in progress, so we had to detour around the back side of Des Moines Creek. Yes, it was an Indian wedding. 
 In the creek, Mama duck kept a watchful eye on her ducklings. 
 It was warming up by now, so we walked the shady part of the trail along the creek. Then we turned around and came home,
where we had lunch on the patio, in the shade of the umbrella. 

9 comments:

  1. I love Saturday mornings at the Farmers' Market. I also love summer vegetables. I had a perfect tomato for my supper tonight and I was very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I strolled through our Saturday market, too. I'm still nursing a sore knee so I didn't go far, but I did take some pictures. I never have nearly as many as yours, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're so fortunate at this time of the year with all the various fruits and vegetables to pick from. And all nice and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Farmers markets make their goods very attractive. They use color to great advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those displays of fruit and vegetables look so good. We have a small farmer's market, nothing like what you see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I wish wish we had farmer's markets here. Just wonderful selections and then to have it be near water?? Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad that i do not live near you. I would be broke!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that is a Farmers Market. Wow... A nice walk too.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.