Thursday, February 4, 2021

A Break in the Rain

 Wednesday it stopped raining  - for a day. So I went outside!

In the morning we walked a bit over at the neighborhood park. 

In the afternoon I strolled around our yard. I got up close with some of the blooms in our winter garden, in the front of the house, plants we can see from inside. 

The Hellebores are starting to bloom.
Primroses never seem to quit here, snowdrops are blooming and the winter blooming hardy cyclamen are showing a few blooms along with beautiful foliage. 
The snowdrops are struggling to hold up their heads after being beaten down by heavy rain. 

The Witch Hazel is in full bloom.



Hummingbirds appreciate the winter blooming Mahonia, a variety of what is commonly called Oregon Grape. 

Green buds are appearing on the Indian Plum, the first thing to leaf out in our woodlands.

In the back yard, the moss is taking over much of the lawn and Tom has decided to stop fighting it and let it be. It still bears the imprint of the last mowing in November. 


A mountain of a mole hill.
Hardy cyclamen seem to be popping up everywhere, thanks to Tom spreading the tiny corms here and there. 
Yes, Tom actually works in the garden, here beginning to prune and clean up around the espaliered fruit trees. I, by now, had pulled a patio chair into the sun to sit for a bit and enjoy the primroses. 


Looking out of the upstairs window just now, I see that it isn't really raining much, and I see birds flitting everywhere. I might just have to go out and join them for another short stroll about the garden. 



15 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful place you live, Linda, and although it takes a lot of work, it's so wonderful to enjoy it. You seem to be recovering well, and I am so glad to "see" you here in my news feed, always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By now you have more blooms than I'll have all year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is a constant amazement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A garden is a lot of work especially when you have mole hills everywhere like in my garden !

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dirt from the mole hill shows just how rich your soil is and why your garden is so great. Well that and all the work you two put in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so enjoy the photos of your garden. It's -17C(1F) with a wind chill nearly -30C(-22F) today so there will be no sitting outdoors here for me. Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Linda,

    How wonderful to stroll with you around your delightful garden. There is already so much to see, such promise for the months ahead.

    We do love Hellebores. Such a wide range of colours and forms. In our gardening days, now long past, we gathered together quite a collection, many of the dark plum or black varieties.

    In these strange and difficult times, we are sure that the garden can bring you much joy. It is always a lot of work, but the rewards are great. And, thankfully, we can all enjoy the fruits of your labours virtually. WE shall look forward to the months ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have Spring in your gardens, fun to see. Below zero here and the sundogs are out:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. seems like spring rather than winter. It was 65 here yesterday and sunny always!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so nice to see blooming things this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your garden has a lot of color for this time of year. I almost cut back the hellebore foliage the other day but glad I didn't because it is supposed to be -2 in a couple of days. I love seeing those buds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I checked my Hellebores and there are only buds so far. Yours are lovely and I can't believe how the Cyclamen are popping up all over the place. Your,( and that includes Tom) hard work shows in your beautiful yard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How nice that you have all those blooms to look at here in February. Your weather sounds like ours. I've never seen so much rain. It rained here again today Late afternoon the sun did come out but we have more rain coming in tomorrow evening. Glad you are getting well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Trying to maintain a lawn is fighting with mother nature. Moss is very nice. My hellebores are also blooming but in the SNOW!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.